Author Topic: when should I get a new k5?  (Read 2760 times)

Fookeneh

when should I get a new k5?
« on: April 06, 2004, 03:26:17 PM »
OK , I know that maintaining my 94 k-5 is going to get pricey. In Canada we get hosed more then the US. I like my bike,It starts well and seems to have good compression.It has new seals in all of the supension. Has a rad valve,1990 pro-circuit pipe,spark arrester, jimmy button hi-boy bars,and a hinson clutch basket.It's in decent shape ,but I am thinking about buying a newer one and transfering my goodies onto it. I would imagine this to be a personal preference thing ,but what do you guys think? I've already had to stake the bearing pockets in the rear wheel hub to hold the new bearings tight,so I can see having to replace the wheel later on not making me happy.I would also like the vibes to go away ,but I would rather take a newer engine apart to true the crank so I wouldnt have to replace as many worn parts upon disassembly inspection. A new 04 k5 is $7299 Canadian plus 14% tax . As is I figure my bike is worth around the $3000 can. range. It would be nice to designate the 94 to sand dune trips only, and buy a brand new one for the trails wishful thinking.

Twist-a-grip

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2004, 03:39:28 PM »
If you like your current bike, I would look it over very closely and write down everything that needs to be done.  Get an idea of what it would cost to repair or replace these items and total it up.  This will give you something to compare to the cost of the new bike.  The new bike you will also have to customized which means additional money.  I have got my 91 looking good and in perfect mechanical condition.  With what i paid for it and what I put into it I am at $2000 US less than a brand new 04 and its customized for me.  Consider both options carefully.
John

mikesmith

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2004, 07:31:22 PM »
I say keep the 94 and use it for sand dunes like you said or as a second bike.But even if you need to sell your old one and you really like the 500(whats not to like?) there goning to stop prouduction on them in a year or two from what I hear,so get a new one while you still can and youll have a great bike for another 10+ years that wont nickle and dime you.I have a 94 thats in good shape still and is green sticker legal(a California thing,legal to ride year round)and want to get a new 500,but I just got a new 250,so I dont think my wife will go for it so Ill be keeping my 94 forever!

kawdude

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2004, 05:37:44 AM »
I have a 94 and I would say keep it.  I dumped at least a 1K into the motor this spring on rebuilding and replacing everything I could.  It's still cheaper than a new bike.

I had to replace my rear rim and hub last year because the bearing destroyed the hub...ebay $100.

Fookeneh

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2004, 07:35:14 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me that they stop making them due to enviromental concerns around 2-strokes.
 I would like to see some of the fuel injection technology from scooters be applied to the k-5 to lower the emissions and improve fuel consumption. The technology isn't in North America yet,but from what I have seen the workings of it are not that complicated.
 On top of the scooter cylinder head there is an electronic  fuel injector . No reed valves or carb. It is a  precise and smokeless 2-stroke. If I my memory serves me right It is Aprilia that designed it for Europe.
 I really don't know how someone could get the money to design this system for an open class 2-stroke,but Eh, some food for thought anyways.
  Thanks for the encouragement to keep my old hoss,I think I will keep it as I don't ride enough anyways. I think I will start saving to buy another newer one. Man this thing would be d**n near perfect for me if i could just eliminate the vibes. It totally walks on my buddies 03 yzf450 in the trails ,but he does out accelerate me in the holeshot by about a bikes length. He wishes he had the WR model as it would be way more versatile. His yzf  is way to tall geared for the bush and only has a 4-speed. He is always stalling and feathering the clutch.The power comes on way to fast too. He rode my dinasour and said it felt like a couch! I think he is jealous :lol:    I will always have a k-5 in my arsenal,they are way too much fun and classic styled to boot. It always raises eybrows when I cruise by the the other bikes. 8)  They are are legendary and unique.Maybey I can see a KTM off-road 520 5-spd in my future too.There is nothing wrong with having more then 1 bike. :twisted:
                                   cheers.
                                                      Shen.