Author Topic: jetting suggestions  (Read 2425 times)

Offline atrain40

jetting suggestions
« on: June 01, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
i ride mainly at sea level to 3000 ft and had alot of splooge coming out of headpipe and silencer with stock jetting of 168/60. so i changed it out to 162/55. and there was alot less splooge but i was wondering if you guys think that is too lean. after i have it wide open it surges once or twice so i really want to make sure it isnt too lean. and for riding at 7500ft-9000ft what kind of lean jetting would you recomend. i looked alot in jetting section but couldnt quit find what i was looking for. thanks

Offline grumpy

Re: jetting suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 10:44:05 AM »
If it hasn't already melted go back to 168 & 58 (whats the temp?).

Offline atrain40

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 02:59:29 PM »
the bike seemed to run fine but the temp around here right now is 70-80 i would say but what about all of the splooge i was getting isnt that from running too rich.

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 04:05:51 PM »
What oil and ratio do you run.  A rich mix cause as much (or more) splooge than rich jetting. I would suggest a 165/58 for 3000'.  For 7500 to 9000 the 162/50 should work.  I have been to 6500 with 165/55 and it was rich but alright.  If you are singletracking, the needle and clip setting is more important as you will use that throttle range primarly.  Post any further questions in the jetting section.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2009, 12:00:36 AM »
Yeah, this is something I did before. I got a wide open area and twisted the throttle as much as ever. Then I noticed the splooge, and the silencer smoking, like it was on fire. Wow, I must be rich or mixture is bad or even the 2stroke oil isn't burning off.
 Don't worry. I usually clean and seal the exhaust bushing with silicone. Repack silencer on occasion. The rubber that joins the pipe and silencer shouldn't be leaking on the swing arm. Don't change jetting because of splooge. Any time you are idling around or riding in the tight stuff, you might be collecting oil. Then opening it up will blow out the excess, and it'll be on the fender. Eventually the silencer can get loaded up and really seem like a problem, but its really no big deal for jetting.
  Better oils, or "leaner" ratios might help, fresh well-mixed fuel and all that too, but the oil is the cylinder lube, so you are fine as long as the splooge isn't clogging the powervalves.

Offline atrain40

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2009, 03:06:01 AM »
right now i am mixing it at 32:1 with H1R full synthetic, but am soon going to switch over to honda Gn2 stroke oil which is not synthetic because i got a really good deal on a ton of it. so is it because i was mixing it rich. i guess i will change the main back to a 168 and leave the pilot at a 55 it sounds like and for riding in higher areas i will change the main back to a 162. and as for everything else in the carb it is stock 1991 kx500. thanks