Author Topic: KX500 Complete Rebuild Help  (Read 1860 times)

Offline jim_cliff11

KX500 Complete Rebuild Help
« on: May 21, 2009, 10:07:34 AM »
Hi all,

Im based in North West England in the UK and its my first time on this forum.
Basiclly Im in need of some help, i bought a KX500 in about 100 pieces from a bloke. Its all there and im currently in the process of rebuilding it. Ive had the frame sand blasted and resprayed, all the bearings, sleaves and bushes have been replaced. Engines on and Ive started work on the electrics. Its not far from being complete. Anyway i have a few questions i need help with, im very capable when it comes to machinery but this is my first time building up a bike.

1. The exhaust fits into the port on the head. However it is very loose and there is no seal between the head and the pipe. There is however two grooves on the end of the pipe and in the port. Do I need some sort of seal kit? If so what parts does it consist of and where can i purchase in the UK?

2. I have the CDI and coil all hooked up to the stator, however I get no spark when turning the engine over. It looks like the wiring has been butchered previously. Does anyone have any wiring diagrams or know how I can go about sorting this? Also there is a few wires left over coming from the CDI. Im not sure which is which.

When I bought the lot the bloke said it consisted of a 96 frame with a 94 engine, so far I havent had any problems. Its all gone together well. If anyone can shed any light on these problems for me it would be greatly appriciated. Ill add more queries as I go along.

Many thanks.
Jim

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: KX500 Complete Rebuild Help
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2009, 10:18:05 AM »
The pipe gets 2 big O-rings in the grooves. There's also a big copper washer-like ring that goes in first that the pipe rides on, instead of wearing the head. Don't have a schematic handy. No idea about UK companies. You can probably get the wiring for it. The 500's haven't changed much.

Offline no sub for cubes

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2009, 05:15:59 PM »
Congradulations on your purchase of a kx5,i was in the same postion as you i bought a basket case,an 88 which i have rebuilt from scratch,my motor was supposed to of been fully rebuilt but when i finallly got to putting the motor in and starting it for the first time i found myself having to strip the motor and rebuilding that as well cos of issues.

I have found with my 88 the frame parts are mostly the same from 87 up to the late models,with the exception of the wheels and fitments where as from 89 on the spacers are different.as for the motor their does seem to be a few more differences with the 89 onwards,kips valves,cases,etc.so sourcing parts can be trying at times.

If yours is an 94 motor and frame you should have no prob with getting spares old or new,cradely heath kawasaki are about the best for new parts,and its just a matter of trauling through ebay or calling round breakers this guys is really helpful at chesire county crossers 01477500757,you have come to the right place for best advice on  the kx500 everyone on here is extremely helpful and a wealth of info  :-)

A manual is really a must so id get yourself a clymer one,and looking on the net you can find some great microfichse for the kx heres a link    .http://fiche.ronayers.com/ ,im thoroughly enjoying the build but have to admit expect the pennys to mount up.

:wink:  good luck
                                           cubes
« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 05:18:48 PM by no sub for cubes »

Offline jim_cliff11

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 04:39:17 AM »
Cheers for the reply folks,

Got a copper ring and o ring set en route. The Kawasaki bloke in Cheshire is litrally 1 mile from me, at the other side of the farm. He does have a good reputation. Thought id ask on here before I went to see him as I dont know a massive amount about bikes. Ill go down and see if he can help me with the wiring though.

Thanks guys.
Jim