Author Topic: Premix life!  (Read 3307 times)

Offline wecsubloc

Premix life!
« on: May 08, 2009, 04:36:57 PM »

I run Motul fully synthetic 32:1 with cam2 racing fuel in my 05 250.I am curious as to the longevity of premix.I have about 5 gallons that was stored in my garage for maybe 4 to 6 months.I added stabil to it @ end of last season.It was stored in a jegs racing jug.The rest of premix was stored in a vp metal container. Dilema is whether to run in bike or just dump it into lawn tractor.Bike is setup for woods.I run a 13oz flywheel weight and I certainly am not running it wide open like you would on a mx track.Thanks in advance for advice.

Billy C
Life begins @ 40! Catching up on my yesteryears!So lets rip it up!

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Premix life!
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2009, 07:41:23 PM »
to me 4/6 months is to long ago ,i like my premix not to be older then max 4 weeks
don,t know how other people think about it ,this is just my point of view.
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2009, 02:49:30 AM »
I also use stabil.  My premix smells fresh after 6 months.  I generally keep it for a riding season (if I have to) but never after the winter. Then if goes into the truck & lawnmower or washes fiters. I would think that race gas would last much much longer since it is far higher quality gas than you can get at the pump. Cam.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2009, 03:11:30 AM »
The experts will tell you only mix-up the fuel you are going to use for that day, but I think we all mix-up about 5 gallons at a time and just run it til its gone . I know I'm guilty of that but I try not to carry over fuel from season to season in race bike.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!

Offline azdirtrider75

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:42:13 AM »
I just drained my tank that had gas from mid March (2 months old); I just put it in my car. I try not to have mixed fuel longer than 6 weeks.
Live in the Phoenix Metro? (East Valley) Contact me, let's ride
azdirtrider75
nateopie@hotmail.com

Offline wecsubloc

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 02:07:38 AM »

Just out of curiosity I called Sunoco racing fuels and spoke w/ a tech this morning.He told me I should not be concerned  with a fuel issue.There race fuels have addatives in them.He informed me that the shelf live is good up to 5 years.Unless you leave outside exposed to rain in an open container.

Thanks!

Billy C

Offline azracer19

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 02:57:59 AM »
I run 110 race fuel and Maxima oil at 40 to 1 never save my premix, dump it into my 65 chevy pick up and it runs like a raped ape.

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 03:13:34 AM »
I run 110 race fuel and Maxima oil at 40 to 1 never save my premix, dump it into my 65 chevy pick up and it runs like a raped ape.

If you are raping an ape I would use something a little thicker than 40:1  :-D
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline wecsubloc

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:10:29 AM »

That was funny JFA. Yeah I thought about dumping it into my 95 chevy pickup.But I figure 32:1 plus leaded race gas would totally mess w/02 sensors.I am probably going to shake it up and use in bike.

Offline cbxracer30

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 01:19:38 PM »

Just out of curiosity I called Sunoco racing fuels and spoke w/ a tech this morning.He told me I should not be concerned  with a fuel issue.There race fuels have addatives in them.He informed me that the shelf live is good up to 5 years.Unless you leave outside exposed to rain in an open container.

Thanks!

Billy C
Somehow I think the tech forgot the part about never opened-sealed in a metal container. Everytime you open the container the fuel is contaminated. Red Edmonston was the one who always told me never mix more fuel than you are going use that day and OIL stands for oil-in-last, fuel in container first then oil.CBX
Yep, you can ride it - if YOU can start it !!