Author Topic: Drag racing a KX 500 gears???  (Read 7912 times)

Offline KX5Zuki

Re: Drag racing a KX 500 gears???
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 06:47:05 AM »
What about an "override transmission"?? Full throttle shifts without the clutch, and no damage on the tranny gears? I would have made one by now, but I am still waiting on pics, etc. on how to do it. Nobody makes one for the KX500, just the drag quads that I know of. Anybody have any insight on this? The shift drum, and gears need to be modified, and heavier springs need to be added on the shift forks to make it possible.

Also, are the '86, '87, and newer transmissions the same? All interchangable parts?

If I remember right, override transmissions blow up if you let off the gas while in gear. Great for draggin, horrible for everything else.

Correct, well, not anymore. They have what is called a "dunable override" which allows full power, either on or off the gas, motor loaded up either way, with up/down shifts, and no issues. There a little bit more pricey, but well worth it in my opinion.

Offline YUNGGUNNAZ

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 07:52:11 AM »
wcr in Florida does the override for the kx.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 11:00:17 AM »
The chain is held together with a master link and the sprocket is held on with a snap ring.
  The rear axle has a large nut and the adjusters have little nuts.( no insult intended)
  I always take stuff apart without asking, that is how I learn, I guess asking first is the right way and I should learn from you.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.

Offline KX5Zuki

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 11:21:59 AM »
wcr in Florida does the override for the kx.

Sweet, found them. Has you or know of anyone that have used them?

Offline KX5Zuki

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 12:20:10 PM »
WCR only has the regular override for the 500, its $400, and you cant downshift. But, I have done and am very happy with my mod, I changed the shift patten from 1N2345 to N12345. So, now there wont be any mis-shifts going from 1st to 2nd. Its quite embarassing, and you lose.