Author Topic: fork oil  (Read 2300 times)

Offline kiwimonster

fork oil
« on: May 27, 2009, 06:17:12 PM »
how much oil does each fork take  i am going to put in some heaver oil to combat it bottoming out
d c scrivens

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: fork oil
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:49 PM »
What year bike you working on? Look here http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,4816.0.html
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2009, 02:32:34 AM »
how much oil does each fork take  i am going to put in some heaver oil to combat it bottoming out

If you are happy with the way that it rides, putting heavier in will make it harsh. It is better to raise the oil level a little at a time to combat bottoming. With more oil you have a smaller air space, less air space more PSI at the top of the stroke. Don't go past the max limit though or your seals will tell you!

JFAB
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 02:43:51 AM »
On the KX fork I found that it is virtually impossible to get both great bottoming resistance AND smooth operation, without a revalve.  I found that increasing the oil level was not the right thing to do.  An increased level lead to mid-stroke hashness, very noticeable.  The best fix was to run a lower than normal oil level and use heavier springs.  This made a super-smooth fork that only bottomed on the worse stuff. I never did revalve it. Cam.

Offline kiwimonster

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 05:06:25 AM »
cheers guys im pushin the kx quite hard in mx   im 150kgs    i went to a heavy spring on the back which is sweet now   but on drop off and braking bumps im getting metal on metal on the front maybe heavy springs i will have to put in it. cheers
d c scrivens

Offline Ahole500

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 02:38:18 PM »
i'm 250lbs 6'1 and was blowing fork seals,tried factory seals,aftermarket and everything,they all blew.went w/ stiffer race tech springs and little thicker oil and havent bottomed out or blown a seal in 3 yrs.didnt revalve but a good idea,over filling is bad idea.