Author Topic: Back in the saddle again  (Read 1967 times)

Offline jakeskx

Back in the saddle again
« on: April 24, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »
 Hey guys, hows it going? I've been registered for a week or so and have visited the site quite a few times, but this is the first time I've introduced myself, so here goes. I live in a small rural town in Iowa , population @ 800 or so. A small grocery/convenince store,local bank,2 bars, and a cozy little cafe. I actually grew up in this town up till I was about 15. My parents divorced and I ended up moving away. Then my dad had a stroke a couple of years ago, the house was left unoccupied all that time, what a mess! Anyway,long story short, I ended up getting the place and in the process of remodeling it. I'm a carpenter by trade so that comes in handy I guess. So after I move myself and family into the old homestead I introduced myself to the new neighbor next door. He happens to own one of the bars in town by the way,while we where talking he tells me the bar is now kind of a biker bar, cool. So he shows me his bikes, a couple of Harleys, a older Goldwing and a really nice 2000 KX500! He says that the bike is for sale and my heart skipped a little. I HAD to have it. So we struck up a deal of $1500 for the old beast. Not only that but, being the great guy that he is, he's letting me make payments on it knowing that I've got a family and a lot of my extra income has been dumped into the house to make it liveable again. What a guy! He's even getting the top end rebuilt before he lets me take it so that I won't have to worry about that for a while.He is cool. We're going to go pick it up in the morning, I can hardly wait. My wife says I'm like a little kid with a new toy at Christmas. I did test ride it for a day so I know it's a good bike, but I'm hoping it will be even tougher now. It's been a few years since I've had a dirtbike. That TS250 was nothing like this thing at all. Well I'd better let y'all go, I'm not going to wrute a book here :lol: Sometimes I do rattle on... just a little excited I guess. I'll try to post some pics this weekend hopefully.

Offline DoldGuy

Re: Back in the saddle again
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 03:58:22 PM »
Welcome to the forum, I think you will find this site very helpful with alot of knowledge from its members ready to helpout. Sorry to read about your father, but it sounds as you have stepped up to put family first and not your hobby. What year TS250 did you have? Also congrats on the new K5!
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline jakeskx

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2009, 04:37:13 PM »
I bought a 1972 Suzuki TS250 from the other neighbors son when I was 13 for $250. Which I thought was a pretty good deal back then, a buck a c.c. isn't bad. It was in pretty good shape but he didn't ride it much and it set outside leaning against the big old L.P.tank for a couple of years till I got up the nerve to ask him if he would sell it. He did sell it but told me good kuck on getting it started. He said that he'd tried to start it a few times bit gave up because he'd just bought a beautiful 69 Superbird and that took up all of his spare time and money. Anyway, I pushed it across the street to the old mans garage, flushed the tank,tore the carb apart and got all of the varnished gas out of it put it back together,replaced the fuel line and cleaned the spark plug and rode it fired it up on like the 3rd or fourth kick! I rode it back over to show him that I got it running later that day and he about s--t. I rode the wheels off of that bike up until I was about 17 then it ended up getting stoled from my brothers one night after we put it away after a  day of riding. Oh well,  someone else thought they needed it more than I did I guess.

Offline jakeskx

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2009, 04:42:16 PM »
I need to start proofreading before I send, I can't type worth a crap.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2009, 06:56:31 PM »
you,re very welcome here !!
that guy you bought it from ,could he possible been a member of kxriders?
it sounds so ,atleast a very generous man he is !
also sorry to hear about your dad ,we live up with you here.
nice write up tho ,i red it like i eat  :lol: thats breathless  :wink:
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500