Author Topic: Its time  (Read 3212 times)

Offline cbr600f31997

Its time
« on: March 09, 2009, 04:25:13 PM »
Its time to make my bike run like is should. I took it out for its first dune run and it bogged alot I think due to pore carb adjustment old reeds and the wrong pipe. I am going to fix all of this and make it the power house it should be but I need all your help. The way it sits now it has (I have been told by po) stock carb and reeds a PRO CIRCUIT PLATINUM pipe with shorty 250 wrong pipe. I would like to keep the pro circuit and get the right long pipe for power, and get new reeds. This is a dunes bike on the oregon coast, I have stock gearing and would like to keep it that way, with that in mind what reeds and pipe are best for my type of rideing? I was looking at Boyesen Pro Reeds, BOYESEN POWER REEDS, and FMF-TORQUE-REEDS is there anything better out there and where do i find it which one of these would work best? I have no idea on pipes so any help is good. Also I am on a bugget so cheep is good I ride a $500 pos not a Stewart bike :-D

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Its time
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:59:52 PM »
1st you ought to get the jetting fixed. Its worth the effort and time is pretty cheap. Stock reeds are ok, V-force advertise a 5.5 hp increase as an average. PC pipe is best thing to have on that bike IMO. Not sure about that silencer or wrong pipe comment. It shouldn't be wrong. they are usually too different. Worn reeds will make it really hard to jet. You will be chasing rich condition until you get it too lean, so a visual inspection is important. Be sure powervalve is good and working well. As they get worn, carbon and goop tend to fill up the spaces and eventually dragging the moving parts or stopping them altogether. Retarding the timing helped mine rev higher. Check Pro Circuit for jetting recommendations to get you close. Clean Filter, fresh gas, new plug, clean carb, new silencer packing, all are easy, cheap, things to do that help it run better and are noticable. Good Luck

Offline cbr600f31997

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:54:46 AM »
Ok I think I said the pipe thing wrong it has the right pipe wrong silencer it is off a 250 its a DC shorty what silencer should I get to run with the pipe I heard you should not run short pipes on these bikes and I am going through the motor to clean all the parts and fix jetting but I think as old as my reeds are I will have to replace them so what is a good cheep reed I found the three below on ebay for an ok price I dont need the best just as good as stock or a little better and for them to last good. and it has new plug, filter, gas and that stuff I did that as soon as I got it but I still have alot of work to do to make it right.

Offline cbr600f31997

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 04:48:38 PM »
come on guys I know someone knows the answer. Also does anyone know where I can get parts on the cheep I need a new alt cover and some outher small stuff.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2009, 12:44:22 AM »
I don't see any issues with Boyesen Pro reeds if you are on a budget. Personally I support FMF since they were a big support to me when I needed it. I don't care for PC but they seem to test well with Stewert's dyno runs. If your dunes require a spark restrictor I'd say any silencer for the KX500 is good.

Ebay is your friend for parts or the wanted/for sale section here.

Fix your jetting, that is your best boost of power over any modification you can do. Now, once your jetting is fixed then you can look into finding more power. But it is a night/day difference when the air/fuel mixture is correct, even if it is slightly off. There is a noticable difference when corrected. We have tons of posts on Jetting/Reeds/Pipes and have a Search feature to find them.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 01:16:15 AM by gowen »

stewart

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2009, 12:59:22 AM »
theres nothing wrong with the   fmf pipes or silencer  good stuff   it was just   down on power a little bit  which may not be a bad thing for many types of riding

Offline cbr600f31997

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2009, 04:24:59 PM »
ok guys thanks for the input. will a long silencer make my bike not as loud as the kx 250 6" silencer its got now or not realy any change?

Offline cbr600f31997

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
I was looking in my exhaust port and messing with stuff and i noticed that my kpis closes on one side when you open the outher is that normal or did the guy who had the bike before me put something together wrong? also what is head bolt torque? thanks for all the help and input.

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2009, 05:00:30 PM »
If the valves are not opening and closing at the same that's bad. when the two virtical/rotory valves are both open the center flapper valve is up.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 12:51:55 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2009, 02:52:14 AM »
This is the way I see things.

Jetting- essential first step
PC Platinum 2 pipe made 3 hp more at 7000rpm than others with
V-Force 2 reeds
Bolt mod for KIPS system (system working properly)

Then eventually:
re-plate if it needs it
custom head
port job
window mod for piston
Possibly crank stuffer (great idea, but unproven as yet I think?)
Service Kawasaki AF conversion  :evil:

Things I'm unsure about:
which carb is best.  I ride on the pipe and rarely tractor around.  I like straight line drags, and balls out down washes, etc.  Which carb would be best for me?  I like HorsePower. :-D

Offline DoldGuy

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2009, 04:30:06 AM »
Good,

All things point to the Lectron 44, after viewing all of the Dynos Stewart posted (we are lucky to have him share his learnings), and after reading other members post, they say they are using a considerable amount less fuel (my body is worn out before I can go thru a tank full). Look at the dynos posted (think you will draw your own conclusion). Keep us posted. :-D
Its Never too Late to Have a Happy Childhood!

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2009, 06:36:30 AM »
Good,

All things point to the Lectron 44, after viewing all of the Dynos Stewart posted (we are lucky to have him share his learnings), and after reading other members post, they say they are using a considerable amount less fuel (my body is worn out before I can go thru a tank full). Look at the dynos posted (think you will draw your own conclusion). Keep us posted. :-D
I've only seen one and that was a long time ago.  And, I didn't know what was in that motor at all...  I even did a search and couldn't find any more. :?

stewart

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2009, 10:56:39 AM »
the lectron 44 from dennis packard is the best for top end hp  when properly tuned ,,but the pwk carbs the come on the bike  are very drivable  and easy to tune  etc,,

stewart

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2009, 10:59:08 AM »
,,,good,,, i have not posted enough dyno pulls  is true  i have to get a better way to scan them  whwen i did a photo there hard to read

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2009, 02:45:28 PM »
 :-D No worries Stewart!  At least you post them and have them.  A dyno sheet is a mythical thing on the CR500 forums!  :lol: They couldn't produce a dyno sheet worth anything to save their lives! :-D