Author Topic: Newbie to Kawasaki Land  (Read 1790 times)

Offline Wopper

Newbie to Kawasaki Land
« on: February 27, 2009, 06:11:24 PM »
 :-D :-D
Hi All;
Im new to the green thing here, Im from Vancouver BC, just bought an 03 KX500, my intent is to set this thing up for ice racing, Ive been playing on the ice for the past few years, and riding KTM's a 300, 200 and riding vet class, and 125 pro class on the 200.
I was getting my butt kicked in the vet class, guys are riding CR 500's in that class, and me on my pea shooter didnt stand a chance against the big guns! So, lesson learned, dont bring a pea shooter to a gunfight...........get the biggest gun you can, lookout in 2010, cuz I got me a big gun now!!!!!!
Anyway, I found an 03 that seems to be in good shape, needs wheel bearings, linkage bushings, and it sounds a bit rattly on top end piston????? I will need some help later when I get the top off it to identify what is inside this thing, I was told it has a big bore kit or something in it.
When I took it for a test ride I coulnt keep the front wheel on the ground in any gear!!! Yippeee!!! :-o :-o
If anyone has any info on how long these things last, hours on motor before rebuild, pistons, cranks etc, I'm all ears!
Also if anyone has recommendations on setup for Ice, lets talk!! 8-) :-D

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Newbie to Kawasaki Land
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 08:24:55 PM »
Welcome !!

congratz on buying the bigbore kawi

as for the rattle you run racegas in it ?
maybe if not ,the rattle could be detonation,be sure of  the type of gas
what premix ratio it runs ? or do you gonna run it ?

for ice racing setup ,there are a few ice racers here : doordie - iceracer

for maintenance i,d say get a clymer wsm and if you use the motor heavely ,
you maid wanna tear it down every saison for inspection /measurement -replacement
but it s more a personal thing ,some use topends for years and years ,it depends on a lot .

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Icerider

Re: Newbie to Kawasaki Land
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 12:13:53 AM »
Welcome to the world of Green.

Ok, I confess, I ride on frozen H2O.

I don't actually race anymore but just a bunch of buddies plowing off a lake and running hard. My ice toy is actually red, sorry, but I'm building a hybrid quad thats all big Green which will have hundreds of pointy things in the tires.

Seems like lots of folks are interested in winter fun so I'm going to start a new thread with what I've learned(it aint much so please don't critize).