Author Topic: need some help just bought kx 500  (Read 9267 times)

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: need some help just bought kx 500
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2009, 09:34:43 AM »
well ibought the bike for 850 dollars so i think that is a good deal the guy i bought it from did not know about bikes. like i said he never changed the clutch in 19 years so i think that it is fried all he ever did was change the rings once about 10 years ago this bike was riden about 15-20 trips per year so it got a fair amount of hours on it. i think it is a combo of things the kips may not be working correctly the jetting is off the clutch is bad so i have to do the jetting check the kips change the clutch after that has been done the only thing i can think off is that the cylinder is done and needs to be re plated
what do you guys think? :?

Ok, there were more posts while I was typing.
After reading your response, my best advice to you would be to buy a manual...Clymer is very good....and ask a local friend with some mechanical knowledge to help you.

It is likely that getting help on the internet might not be the best way to get your bike running well. It's not an insult, just advice.

Anyway....good luck to you.

peace,
janette

buying the manual is indeed first prio i,d say too.
but in the mean time there,s a great deal of knowledge about the k5 here ,its kxriders after all..
and for those who don,t have a database of years of racing ,it has been very helpfull
this is not just (the internet ) but more off a big extended family affair where help is in every corner .

Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline khaavet

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2009, 10:11:17 AM »
okay thank you i will do that
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline khaavet

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2009, 10:12:19 AM »
anybody know what the compresion shoulde be?
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2009, 10:23:34 AM »
use the search  :-)
then you ,ll find the info .
i searched and the manual says min.105 psi max 164 psi
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2009, 12:43:46 PM »
 Yeah, I agree that 60 could be fat. Plug should be dry and tan after running. If it needs rebuilt, though, and she smokes alot, all the time, crank seal would be worn. Then she would be sucking oil and giving you a rich reading on the plug. If you can start it without boots, it needs a top-end. The right thing to do is pull the top-end and check your cylinder plating, piston condition. There's an excellent post on piston color and appearance reading, just like the one on spark plugs.
 You should be able to get the power valve cover off, and watch it work. When the engine revs, it comes out like an inch. Sometimes carbon and oily goop hold it up and choke off the power. Usually you can get it free, but its full inside. If its just a little stuck, you may be able to go rippin' and help it. I'm guessin' its that powervalve, or if she smokes like a smoke bomb, then its crank seals.

Thorina

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2009, 12:52:40 PM »
I need your input for the big 1's on my Plate!!!!!!

Old school dirt track numbers.  :-D

Offline khaavet

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2009, 10:06:26 AM »
Okay here is an update new clutch installed 165 main jet and 55 pilot checked kips working  good big diffrence big has slot more power to the ground frontend comeing up like it was going out of style on the street anyway still  need to do commpresion test but bike does not seem bogi on the low end can't wait to take it to the dirt finally I get to feel the  k5 power :-D
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline khaavet

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 02:43:45 PM »
well i went rideing today and im not very happy with the way this bike is still not running right need to check compression any body have any idea what is wrong here have done new clutch jetting is right new piston and rings kips is working
only thing i did not do was to overhaul the cylinder (never been done since it was new 1990) bike seems like it does not have power front tire is not comeing up even on hard packed dirt unless im in 1st gear what else can it be other then the cylinder?
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 11:40:20 PM »
Its running good, but no wheelies? You have a new tire on it? Nobbs need to be square cornered, or it will spin alot on dirt. What gearing are you running?

Its blubbering still, like the choke is on? Does fuel come out of overflows? Overflows are clear and free flowing, if they needed to overflow? Floats stuck, out of adjustment or worn parts can flood mixture. Reeds not sealing with warped or broken petals can cause funky problems with power too. If they are junk, I suggest finding some Vforce. 5.5 average hp gain bolt-on, according to their paperwork. Good reeds help the mixture be true. I had broken petals, once and it started fine, but had no power. Other times they will have power, but not run on low end. Worth checking out.

Does it come on the pipe at some point? It should be stretching your arms or be squirrely, when turning it on. It can get to the top of the rev quick, but should be alot to handle in third. If not, something is out of tune or low on compression. It has "widow maker" power, you're at the right place to get it to make that power. Good Luck

Offline khaavet

« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2009, 04:14:04 AM »
the reeds are brand new. but a wierd thing happend when i started it the first time in the desert for about 2 min i was leaking gas out of the over flo tube what is this? then i went away. as far as gearing im runnig a stock set up 14 front 47 rear.
WHEN IN DOUBT GAS IT!!!!
my bikes
kx 70
kx 80
cr 250
yz 490
yz 125
yz 250
zx 636r (for sale)
1990 kx 500 current bike

Offline Hillclimb#42

« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2009, 02:33:17 PM »
Gas pouring out of the overflow means the floats are stuck. sometimes can be out of adjustment which affects performance, big time. Pouring waaay too much fuel in at idle would make it puke, till you finally got it wound out. Its just a little tab that closes off the pin. A visual inspection usually shows the cause. Sometimes a couple taps on it fix it, if you're lucky. I mentioned the overflows tubes, because if they get clogged then, when flooding because floats are stuck it wouldn't be able to get out. Thats bad. You can fill up bottom with liquid fuel and lock it up that way, in worse case scenario. If you see liquids pouring out, its usually worth checking out. Its not normal on a kx500. That sounds like that might be it!!!

Offline 300zgreg

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2009, 05:11:41 PM »
Hey Khaavet
I'm having the same problem!
I can't get the tire up in 2,3,4 gear and seems sluggish at low speeds.
A friend of mine has a 2004 crf250(stock) and he keeps up with me!!! That's Not right
Its a 92kx500 fmf pipe with 168 main and 60 pilot.
I did a compression test and its at 150psi.
I have been fouling plugs at low speeds in trails, its carbon fouled.
I'm looking to jet the carb not sure which way to go, i'm going to order reed spacers next week.

Offline kx560

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2009, 06:00:15 PM »
Read spacers make it slower. Start by cleaning carb and air cleaner. Lean out the carb until its tan. Run bike at top end and shut off right away the check. At 2500 ft mine was at 162 and a 58 or maybe even a 55. Make sure the correct needle is installed and recheck those valves. Check compression with throttle wide open to let in air. Make sure that is even the correct carb should be a pwk 39 on a stock machine. It sounds like it ran good at first untill it warmed up. I had that problem once and noticed that better fuel made a big difference. Good luck.