Author Topic: Oil thoughts and questions - anyone heard of this?  (Read 6259 times)

Offline don46

Re: Oil thoughts and questions - anyone heard of this?
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2009, 05:28:45 AM »
When you start talking about lubricants it gets almost as interesting as when you talk about motorcycle brands, everybody has their favorite. Ultimately we will all make our own decisions about what to run and of course there are different applications as well. I've not used ATF in the tranny, I'd considered it, but after reading Tucks post I probably won't. In my 4t I run Rotella T and change it often, in my 2t I run  redline gear oil and have had great success with it, it runs cooler than regular motor oil, at least with an external temp. gun. As for 2t premix oil there are many that are good, whether they be petroleum, synthetic, or Castor based. In a previous post Tuck had talked about petroleum oil under a microscope, the key to petroleum oil is getting one that is TCWIII rated, this oil can be used in a outboard boat, they have babbit bearings and have to have ashless oil or it will trash them. I use a petroleum oil in almost all my 2t equipment, primarily because of the cost and the wear factor when motors have been torn down. In my snowmobiles they are typically run between 6-8000 rpm constantly and have never had a oil related failure, and I can assure you that they take more of beating than bikes do, dead weight, 500 lbs and wide open most of the time.

In the old days I think there was a huge difference between petroleum and synthetics, I don't think it's as apparent today.

As always, just my opinion
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline serafin

Re: Oil thoughts and questions - anyone heard of this?
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2009, 03:59:00 PM »
Great write up Tuck lots of good info.  Its ironic that I am using both Maxima 927 and ATF.  I was hesitant at first about using ATF but gave it a shot figured that I could always change back.  It was night and day difference as far as shifting definitely a lot smoother.  I usually change it after every third ride (my rides are usually 50 miles or less).  When I change it, it comes out a darker red color but it doesn't smell burnt at all I'm guessing it's due to aluminum contamination from the clutch plates.  One thing I did notice was that there was less metal filings attached to my magnetic drain plug.  Go figure.  As far as Maxima 927 I have been using it since I bought the bike again no problems not even any spooge or gummy power valve parts.  I believe that correct jetting has a lot to do with it.  Again these are my observations from a 46yo Vet rider weekend warrior.  As Tuck said, if you stick with name brand motorcycle specific oils you cant go wrong.  So what did Stewart use in his worlds fastest dirtbike?

Serafin