Author Topic: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!  (Read 219750 times)

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
Re: KX60 HELP! In need of rebuild!
« Reply #600 on: December 30, 2011, 10:08:40 AM »
Hey Chris,
   If the Idle "Hangs"  and then Idles down it would lead me to believe there is either an air leak or you are too lean.
 (usually on the pilot) as this happens when you blip the throttle.  With very few adjustments on that carb you will probably have to tinker with it all the time to keep it spot on.
  Hope you had a great Christmas.   Happy New Year and Hope you get to pick up a new batch of  Projects to work on.
  Tuck\o/
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #601 on: December 30, 2011, 10:51:45 AM »
Hey Tuck,

I will go ahead and tighten all the bolts tomorrow. Once in a while after I ride the kx, theres a little tiny drip that comes off the exhaust but its nothing. So I wouldnt believe its lean, Am I right? I love how its running and riding except the smoke everywhere in the the air that it creates haha but you told me its the oil mix I use. The powerband is still awesome! I cant get it out of 3rd gear in my driveway that is pretty long! WHats the adjustment on the top of the carb thats brass? I had a great Christmas and I hope you did too. I got a new bicycle!

With the cb400, I bought the battery and new spark plugs. I got it all on the bike and it runs good. The thing ehy I put new plugs in and tried adjusting the clutch cable is because when my friend rode it, he pulls in the clutch, clicks down to 1st gear, gives it full throttle gas, lets go of the clutch, and it has barely any power at all even with full throttle. But when it gets going it is good. So I was running it for a little then pulled the new plugs to look at them and the left cylinder plug was totally charcoal pure black and the right cylinder one looked new but a little wet. Also if you leave the gas on without running it for id say 10 mins there would be gas coming out the right side carb overflow valve. What could this be now...

Also I helped my friend out by working on his pocket bike to get it faster. He bought it new and it didnt run good cause he by accident put gas oil mix instead of regular gas..also it didnt go as fast as it should with a lot of cutting out. So I took it from him to fix it for him and I first looked at the fuel filter which was all blue of oil and really bad! So I just put a new fuel line with no filter...Then I looked for governors cause the bike came new as epa certified...So there was a governor in the airbox that let half air in. Then I took the carb off and noticed that the throttle went up halfway. I looked it up and they make the new models with the slide as a governor so I had to cut it and smoothen it out to let it open all the way...it now works! Im learning haha!

Hope to solve the cb problem.
Happy New Year,
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #602 on: December 31, 2011, 06:35:47 PM »
Hey Chris,
 The oil drip and smoke from your KX is one of three things I can think of without having the bike.
If you are riding the bike under half throttle most of the time, the unburnt oil from the combustion process is collecting  (or condensing) in the pipe and getting blown out the exhaust.  One reason the oil is not being consumed is the quality of the oil and the 32:1 premix ratio.
 Check your Clymer for the Brass thing on the top of the carb. it will tell you what it's for .  I'm guessing it's there to adjust  slack in the cable, is it Knurled?.  when you twist it it should unscrew from the top of the carb and if there is no slack in the cable it will start to raise the slide and Idle speed.

The carb on the cb 400 that keeps flooding either is just set too high or more likely is leaking fuel past the needle valve.   
 One cause of the black sooty plug may be the oil leaking past the valve guide and being drawn into the combustion chamber or poor ring seal, oil is being drawn up from the crankcase or not being kept in check by the oil control rings on the piston. There are some tests that can be done at a dealer to help trouble shoot the issue by using a vacuum or leak down test similar to checking a two stroke for an air leak.
      http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/116_0406_cylinder_leakdown_tester/viewall.html
This is basically the same for a bike or lawnmower engine or auto.

Then you said    "when my friend rode it, he pulls in the clutch, clicks down to 1st gear, gives it full throttle gas, lets go of the clutch, and it has barely any power at all even with full throttle."

If the bike is screaming at full throttle and not moving in first gear the clutch is fried. 
  This bike is going to either wait until you gain some more experience or sold as a parts bike.
The carbs sound like they need to be re-built and the engine and clutch may need to be re- built from what it sounds like.  This is not gonna be an easy fix.   
  Best of Luck Buddy and Hope you have a Happy and prosperous 2012!
  Tuck\o/

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #603 on: January 01, 2012, 11:02:29 AM »
Tuck,
 I tightened the kx bolts today and they werent loose but could have used the extra tightness. I ride the bike mostly in 3/4 throttle I would say. I will check the clymer tomorrow for the brass adjuster on the carb.

About the cb, I don't think you understood what I was saying on what happens. When you give it full throttle and let go of the clutch, it moves but has barely any power. My friend was talking to his motorcycle mechanic and he thinks it has nothing to with the clutch and it is just that the carbs arent synced with eachother...when I was cleaning the jets I didnt think there was differences with the sizes of the jets so do you think they would be different? I was gonna open the clutch cover tomorrow but now it might not be that im thinking? THere is a rip in the one carb boot to the right that connects to the cylinder but I put some glue on it thinking it wasnt a big deal. I dont think the rip in it went all the way through...Whadya think?

Take Care,
Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #604 on: January 02, 2012, 09:03:56 AM »
Sorry Buddy I guess I would have to see what your talking about.
  If you give the bike full throttle the engine should be screaming, and then let out the clutch?..
 You would have to consult a service manual(clymer etc.) to see if the jets in the carbs are the same or not.  They may not be.   
 The XR600 I sold had two carbs and they did have different jets in the carbs. there was a primary and secondary set-up.   One Carb ran the bike until a certain point in the linkage opened the other carb to add more fuel when needed. This did two things, keeps the air speed up to help fill the cyl. , good throttle response and also helped keep the fuel mileage decent as long as you didn't keep it pinned.
  I think you either need that service manual or a clymer to be able to set up those carbs. 

If there is an air leak in the boot you will lean out the mixture and draw unfiltered air in your engine.  Both Bad..   
  Sorry I don't have any better Idea. 
Take Care,
  Tuck\o/ 

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #605 on: January 03, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »
Thats correct...Pull in the clutch then click down to first and give full throttle then let go of the clutch and it has barely any power but it still does move. I was looking in the manual today and they do have a section for carb syncing. I will look if theres different jets but I would assume not...This bike im basically trying to put as less of money into it as possible then sell it for more money for a car (1967-72 chevelle!!)

I might get a 4 gauge carb synchronizer from a guy in trade for 2 silver half dollars. Ive located where the brass adjusters go into already. 

Thanks
Chris
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:37:49 AM by chris-mets »
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #606 on: January 09, 2012, 12:25:29 PM »
Also I was wondering if I decided to do this in the summer maybe to change the carb on the kx to bigger. What would fit even with changing the boot or reeds or something? Is there a way to put like a kx125 carb on there haha? WHats the biggest possible carb?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80

Offline chris-mets

« Reply #607 on: January 18, 2012, 12:33:39 PM »
Is the kx60 carb I have 26mm or 28mm? cause would I be able to buy just any kind of 26 or 28mm carb off ebay from no specific bike then jet it? Or would a kx85/cr85/yz85 carb fit on the bike?

Chris
05 rm125
04 ttr90
82 rm80