Author Topic: Stroked vs Bored?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Stroked vs Bored?
« on: September 03, 2008, 07:31:56 AM »
Another dumb question from the midwest hillbilly... :-P I was under the impression that a stroked motor would take longer to wind out, where a stock crank would wind out faster thereby making a stroked motor have better top end. And may even lose a touch of the bottom. Also thought that bored motors would have more bottom since they are able to spin the same crank faster. After talking to my riding/racing buddies, they are convinced that the opposite is true. That a stroked motor is more torque and that it only pulls taller gear because it bogs less on the bottom. In my mind stroked or bored, adds cc's and therefore making it a bigger motor so I don't get it. They also said that I am confusing porting qualities with boring and stroking. I do get that stroking changes port timing, but I have to admit to the confused part. I am not even talking about doing either or both, its just that we race bikes that are, and thats where the conversation got started. Inside story is that stroking a little is better than boring or sleeving for hillclimbing because it gives better bottom end response. That also confuses me because these bikes stay on the pipe for the whole ride and never get to see the bottom range of the rpms. Any of you experts out there able to simplify this for me so I can digest it easier? :roll:

Offline bigbellybob

Re: Stroked vs Bored?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 07:48:09 AM »
a longer stroke is like a longer breaker bar the same force on the piston will put more force on the center of the crank the further out from the center you get with the stroke. long strokes don't spin up as fast as a short stroke. short stroke will reach max rpm faster making it more revvy. the piston will also travel farther with a longer stroke changing the port timing. and or leaving the ports open or closed longer depending on were the jug is in relation to the old stroke.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 08:03:11 AM by bigbellybob »
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 07:54:22 AM »
with a 2t the port tuning and pipe tuning determine how when and where the power will come on or peak out

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline BDI

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 10:54:39 AM »
You can think of crank stroking like the cranks on a bicycle the longer the cranks on your bike the easier it is to pedal.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
Thanks, makes sense.