Author Topic: funny sound top end  (Read 2194 times)

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

funny sound top end
« on: August 28, 2008, 04:54:24 PM »
I am the new owner of a 1998 KX500, and new/old to dirt bikes in general so I need some help.  I'm not familar with this motor yet.  It is making a top end low-tone rattle.  The prevous owner did not have a crush gasket in the head to pipe, and only one o-ring.  I like to go through new toys whe they are used, so I put in the gasket/o-ring/new springs... This is when the noise started, so I took the gasket out but it still makes the sound.  Any Ideas on what it could be?  I also cleaned the carb and replaced the plug and put in freash gas (91 oct.).   :?

Offline kiwimonster

Re: funny sound top end
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 06:48:40 PM »
i had a noise like this it was my exhuast springs touching the pipe as vibrating, i put somw heat proof hose over mine and it went away.
d c scrivens

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 12:54:13 AM »
If the KIPS valves are worn some they can make a light rattle noise. High temp silcone works great on those pipe o-rings and adds some dampering.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline wreck-n-roll rik

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 01:38:45 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm going to get a manual and this week-end and really get into this thing.  Not a lot of time to left ride here in Northen Minnesota so this winter the Bike will go through some major rebuilbing...  Sure is a powerful bike, scared the cr@p out of me when I test a test ride.

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 02:18:44 AM »
On my 04 kx500 the funny noise was caused by the upper pipe mount. This is on the right side of the bike . The frame broke out and at certain RPM the broken mount would vibrate against the frame. When I first heard it I thought the KIPS was rattling. I now have learned whenever I hear a noise like this, it is related to pipe mounting.
  I also had issues with springs falling off, when using the stock pipe. With the stock pipe I used shorter springs from an orange bike. With the FMF pipe, the stock springs seem to stay on.
  John
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.