Author Topic: Sleeve vs Plating (how much do you lose)  (Read 3840 times)

Offline dans89kx500

Sleeve vs Plating (how much do you lose)
« on: July 21, 2008, 09:21:32 AM »
I sent my cylinder to be resleeved today. The total cost was about $325.00. This includes new sleeved cylinder, piston set, gaskets and labor. Anyway, how much power do you lose with a steel sleeve? Is it a noticable amount?

Daniel in Vacaville
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510

stewart

Re: Sleeve vs Plating (how much do you lose)
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 10:33:50 AM »
in my opionion  those cylinders are not made to be sleeved  it cause un nessary problems from longer warm up ,,less power breakage at port bridges ,,harder to keep head gaskets sealed  with disamler  metals ,,etc

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 11:46:05 AM »
They say that the low friction coating is good for about Four horse power. I have heard of people having cast iron sleeves plated just for this reason alone.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline Mick

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 12:02:49 PM »
You say "resleeved"  :?  Why was it sleeved to begin with?  If it was because you destroyed your original cylinder you did the right thing.  A k5 cylinder costs about $500.  I'd sleeve anything to keep from spending that kind of dough.
I don't think you'd see another 4 hp with a half liter single...maybe out of a multi cylinder engine?  My CR jug is plated and I don't feel it makes anymore power because of it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 12:11:56 PM by Mick »
1989 KX500
2003 Service Honda CR500AF

Offline dans89kx500

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 12:29:52 PM »
Yes the original cylinder was plated and damaged badly. I looked on ebay and checked company's to have it replated, but the cost would have put the old k5 out of business forever (to k5 heaven).
So, your saying about a 4hp loss?
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510

Offline BDI

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 02:14:15 PM »
3 to 4 horse over cast iron is what max-power told me maybe they were lying to sell their product,who knows. I do know that plating is the way to go. I think max-power replates a cylinder for $200.00.how much is the sleeve costing installed?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 02:15:50 PM by BDI »

Offline Mick

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 02:44:07 PM »
Max Power told me that as well when I delt with them two or three years ago.  There's alot of things I like about plated bores.  But I've got to be honest and say there wasn't any noticeable power change having Max Power coat a piston, head and cylinder.
At some point in the past couple years Max Power stopped coating iron.  As I understand it, it's difficult to coat an iron sleeve in an aluminum cylinder.  Max Power chose not to accept the work anymore.  Eric Gorr who used to work with Max Power now works at US Chrome.  And they will coat an iron sleeve for you tomorrow if asked.
But you must have had some serious damage to your jug to have it sleeved in the first place.  Max Power for instance will repair some really bad looking cylinders for $200 like BDI said.  Once it's sleeved you can't go back can you?
1989 KX500

Offline BDI

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 03:11:11 PM »
I have always thought that coating your head and piston was a gimmick. I don't see how it could make anymore HP. I have heard all the wazoo theories on it but I don't buy any of them. I do see how a plated cylinder is better then a cast one though. I do have to admit though that to do a kx500 cylinder right will cost more then $200.00 do to the fact that there is some weldind that should be done, I would say some one was crazy if they replated a K5 cylinder and didn't do it.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 03:14:38 PM by BDI »

Offline kaw rider

• Cool your engine with water not fuel
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 04:11:22 PM »
most platers charge 75.00 to weld up deep groove cylinders.
most guys are getting 200.00 to install a sleeve.
or maybe bore up to 87 or 88mm to clean up cylinder and then $200.00 replate.
i know us chrome does have some track discounts. $135.00 for a plate job.

coatings do help alittle, but brass inserts work better.

Offline Mick

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »
I really have nothing to say about coated heads...accept they look good on paper if you know what I mean??
But a coated piston offers a lot of the same benefits a plated bore does.  Pistons get too hot they grenade.  A coated piston has the ability to run for much longer under similar conditions.  Just last week I had a water pump seal go.  Might have ridden for as much as half an hour with no water.  Zero damage.  If seen CR's melt at an idle with no water.
I've had good results with coated bores and pistons.  Heads?  No such benefit from what I gather.
1989 KX500

Offline dans89kx500

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
Man, lots of good info.. I wish I would have done more research before I sent my cylinder out to be bored and sleaved.
To be bored and sleaved will cost $200.00. Then I will have the cost of piston and gaskets. That should push it up over $300.00 to get it back on the dirt (in a couple weeks).
The cylinder was not cracked, but the plating was damaged badly (from a piston the was damaged by the old owner, who did a crappy job doing the top end). I was having a terible piston slap that could be heard clearly. When I took off the head, I could move the piston in the cylinder from side to side with my fingers (the piston was much looser at the bottom of the stroke).
There is some lessons to be learned here. I hope this email be a little since.

Thanks BDI, Mick, karrider
Daniel in Vacaville
1989 KX500
2000 Husaberg FC501
2009 Husqvarna TC510

Offline 3Razors

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 09:57:49 AM »
The most reasonably priced replating I have found was through Langcourt.  They replated my Tecate cylinder for $130 if I remember right.

www.Langcourt.com