Author Topic: Cleaned her up... so perdy!  (Read 1908 times)

Offline bunk

Cleaned her up... so perdy!
« on: July 22, 2008, 03:46:13 AM »
Went to the dunes this weekend, and man do i love the 500 power!!!  I pulled almost everything off and gave her a good cleaning.  Oh and took off the overkill of stickers that were on it.  Next mods on the list are black number plates, a 250 rear fender, and a black stock tank.

i love this shot....

before with all the stickers...
01' 500

Offline TheGDog

Re: Cleaned her up... so perdy!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
Okay... I recently learned that for dunes riding you're supposed to remove the mud-flap... and apparently they have these cordura nylon sheaths that go over the rear-shock and spring. 

Did you already take that sheath thing off in these photos?  Or did you just not run one?  Wouldn't that be very harsh on the rear shock sand-blasting the rod and jacking-up the seals?
'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline bunk

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 10:37:10 AM »

Did you already take that sheath thing off in these photos?  Or did you just not run one?  Wouldn't that be very harsh on the rear shock sand-blasting the rod and jacking-up the seals?

I take it off when riding the sand.  If you were to leave it on within minutes the paddle would shread it.  I did that on my last bike, forgot to take it off and by the time i remembered it was to late.

As far as the seals, im not 100% sure but as long as you keep everything clean after every ride it shouldnt be such a problem. 

The biggest thing im worried about is the sand bleeching out my black wheels.  If anyone has black wheels that rides sand alot please chime in and let me know if you have that problem.  Thanks-
01' 500

kayx250

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 03:42:19 PM »
I also heard of this "needing" to take it off but with my kx 125 and kx 250 I never touched it and nothing ever happend but when I put a paddle on my kx 450 it actually would rub so I added some links to move the tire back about 1/2 inch....I didnt like the idea of sand hitting my shock at mach 10 basically sand blasting it and possibly pitting the rod...I doubt it would probably hurt anything but I figure why chance it.

By the way your bike is killer.... :evil:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2008, 03:48:48 PM by kayx250 »

Offline bunk

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 03:26:24 AM »
I added some links to move the tire back about 1/2 inch

Ive gotta add some links also, mainly because the paddle is rubbing the airbox.  Its also rubs the rear fender but what bike doesnt.  Maybe when i put on the 250 fender it might not be as bad.
01' 500