Author Topic: Holeshot Hookup by Tamer  (Read 4700 times)

Offline FYRBUG

Holeshot Hookup by Tamer
« on: April 04, 2010, 10:54:47 AM »
Does anyone use any of the Holeshot Devises out there? How do they work and how much do they help?  :? I dont race and have no need for one but I cant help but wonder if they are worth the $60+.

Also, does anyone out there in K5 land use a carbon pipe protector? I'm in the process of ordering a Gnarly for my 03 and would like a little protection for my $200 investment. Any feedback would help. Thanks.
I am leaving this world the same way as I came in to it, screaming and covered in somebody else's blood.

If you cant fix it with a hammer, it's an electrical problem

2009 Harley IRON
2007 Harley Road King
2005 ATK450 MX
2003 KX500 Street Legal

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

Re: Holeshot Hookup by Tamer
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 07:46:14 PM »
Well I use a holeshot for about 8 years now. And it works! :-D
It keep the front wheel down more and there for less change of wheelies.
The reason I bought one was with my 2000 cr250 I had troblle to reach the ground with bouth leggs.
The only hard thing is where to put it. Not to high, than it has less effect and will come lose at the gate. To low, it's verry hard or "imposseble" to hookup.

I believe Danger has carbon pipe protector.

Dutch
Proud owner of a KX500AF

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »
I have one on my KX500AF and KX450f. I love it, wouldn't leave home without it.
Don't just float through life, make waves!

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 04:08:25 PM »
Yes, I have carbon pipe protectors on 3 of my 500's.  The street legal 04 KX500, the 08 KX500AF and the 97 CR500.
The AF bike I stalled sitting cross ways on a rock hill and fell down the hill.  I managed to leap off from the bike and stay on my feet but it hit very hard on the pipe.  Protector saved the pipe.  A few years back I crashed the 04 before I did the street conversion.  Had a helmet cam on at the time.    http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,2559.msg18247.html#msg18247

Here's video with the crash at the end. 

Then 2 weeks ago I had a hard fall on the CR500.  I drove across the ditch going home from my parents house, about 4 miles from my house.  It has concrete that was slimmey and down I went.  Went down on the right side,  put a big grind mark on the pipe protector.  Bent the ASV brake lever almost making it touch at the pivot point.  I called them and they said send it back and they will send me a new one.  The left side grip stabbed me in the inside of my left thigh.  About 2 inches from getting castrated.  Twisted my (bad) right knee.  Almost stopped me from going to the Arkansas Hillbilly Dual Sport ride, 4-1-10.  I could not kick the dual sport K5 so I had to ride my KLR650.  The thing is a pig compared to the K5.  I will do a ride report soon so take a look.

Carbon fiber pipe protectors are a must on the big 2 strokes for sure.  I run E- Line and they are pricey but so are pipes.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:27:02 PM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 04:33:53 PM »
Big pluss on the hole shot device :-D
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline fluffy

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 02:02:05 PM »
how does the device work?

Offline jfabmotorsports.com

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 03:52:35 PM »
how does the device work?

The mechanics of the device are simple. There is a spring loaded pin that goes on the fork protector and a ring with a notch in it on the upper fork leg. Before the start of the race you have to compress the forks while a friend depresses the button on the fork guard. The pin will catch the ring and hold the forks in a compressed state. They will stay that way untill the first big bump or untill the forks are compressed further that when the pin was set.
     The physics...It moves the CG forward and down which removes some traction from the rear wheel. The trick is to have the ring in the right spot for best traction.
    You can see my device on the KX500AF in the pic below. The ring is just below the Race Tech decal and the button is gray with a red bessel on the top portion of the fork guard.
Don't just float through life, make waves!