Author Topic: Shroud bolts?!?  (Read 1749 times)

reesedp

Shroud bolts?!?
« on: April 09, 2008, 02:24:14 AM »
Aaarrgghh!   I'm trying to fix up my 86 and have run into a problem.  The shroud nuts, the ones seated in the tank. They have loosened somehow, and the shroud will no longer bolt tightly to the tank.  The parts diagram makes it look as if they are contained in removeable plugs, but darned if I can figure out how to replace them.  Anyone have any wisdom?

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Shroud bolts?!?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 05:24:12 AM »
I have never seen ones that you could replace. My 87 500 had the same issue. I enlarged (just a little bit) the area just around the insert and filled it with red loctie 271 and it held for three years with no issues. While the loctie is still wet rotate the insert back and forth to work the loctie into all the area's around the insert. Let the 271 dry for at least 48 hrs. Just make sure you don't over tighten the bolts. Hope this trick helps.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008, 06:00:23 AM »
Those are brass inserts that are cast in the tank when it is made. I have repaired them on several ocassions permanently. I screw a long bolt in that I can hold with a pair of pliers and heat with a propane torch, you heat the bolt to heat the insert.Don't get the insert to hot you just want the plastic to get a little melted around the insert, heat it up slowly. While you hold the insert in the right place with the pliers use a putty knife to work the plastic around the insert as it cools to make the plastic smooth and tight against the insert.You should have a squirt bottle with water in it so you can cool it off if it gets to hot.Don't get it to hot or you will ruin the tank
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 07:57:32 AM by BDI »
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

reesedp

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 02:35:20 AM »
I guess I'm just a chicken!  I got everything set up to try the heating thing, then quit and went to work on fabbing a new rear caliper guard so I could mount the rear caliper/disc cover I got on ebay for $10.  Still waiting for my shock to come back from mx-tech as well, so will spend the time tightening up a few other things.  Thanks for the advice guys.