Author Topic: KX500 @ Jawbone Canyon - Last ride of the day - Music Video  (Read 3504 times)

Offline TheGDog

'97 PC800 + '96 KX 500 + '90 KDX 200 + 2000 XR50R (for the lil guy!)

Offline SMPKX500

Re: KX500 @ Jawbone Canyon - Last ride of the day - Music Video
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2008, 08:12:01 AM »
Thats pretty cool. What type of camera set up are you using? I would love to run up that hill. I'm from Florida and everything is flat. 
500cc Thumper Smackdown!

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2008, 11:15:34 AM »
Gdog, good video there. makes me want to go ridin' but here in wyoming it's still pretty cold and snows once or twice a week. waitin' with baited breath for some warmer weather. MADDOGGY

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »
Aw thanks MadDoggy!  I was upset with myself that I didn't check the camera angle after my first recording that day.  The camera angle needed to be tilted up like maybe 5 degrees or so. (Doh!)

Ya see... I have to do the added step of putting a piece of Packing tape over the camera in it's universal mount pushed into the velcro.  The velcro holds fine, but the universal mount is NOT reliable in the harsh conditions we subject a cam to as dirt riders.

I bought a Viosport cam.  They apparently have a better one now.  But I'd check other manufacturers 1st cause this system altogether was not cheap.  It wasn't long after purchasing the unit that I was in 3-Bros racing and noticed a customer buying a setup that shop happens to carry.  It was a different manufacturer, looked smaller overall (maybe not as much resolution)... but the price was much more affordable looking.

I will say this though... the batttery on the ARCHOS DVR it records too and the optional rechargable Li-Ion battery pack I bought for the camera part itself do last a long long time when you're out there.

Although... from prior excursion I noticed that if I chose to record in Widescreen 16:9 ratio at the highest bitrate... there was occasional "chunkiness" in the recorded video.  In other words occasional bits of missing time that didn't become recorded where the recording jumps slightly into the future of the timeline by just a tick or two.

To resolve that issue I dialed-back down to recording in standard aspect ratio of 4:3 with a more medium bitrate setting available within the ARCHOS DVR device.  I do have to say that I totally dig on the ARCHOS DVR device.  This particular model is like 30GB which gives ya more recording time than ya actually have battery for in an outing.

The mic setup is the worst for a motorsports application.  The mic is part of the wiring adapter the cam's wires plug into to be able to then plug into the ARCHOS DVR.   It needs more sound deadening done to it.  It only has a pea-popper windscreen foam covering on it.  Not soo darn much of an issue for the dirtbike riding I guess, it really sucked on the street rides I recorded.  way too much wind-noise getting recorded... and thats even tucked inside my camel-bak... but my thing is that I'd really like something like a VOX mic so that I can give commentary while filming.  I watched some other guys vid where he was doing that and it was great.  I noticed in my RockyMountain catalog there is this Voice Box mic thing they've got kinda like what elite forces use.  I'm thinking that might be my next experiment.

Anyhoo... I tried to chop-out a buncha boring parts as best as I could from the vid.  I hope you liked it.  And while you're on that you-tube page of mine.. check out the other KX vids while you're at it!

P.S. at the point in the video where the song changes to "She got dat fire"... I had such a blast making the jump to ludicrous speed in that sand wash and blasting the YZ 450 with everything I had.  But I didn't know the area we were riding in and he was leading somewhere so I had to chill-out and fall-back so I could know where he was taking us too.

AwfulSmokey

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2008, 04:22:34 PM »
 a KX 500 and some So So Def Bass All Stars?  Nice video! I need to ride me one of these before i am unable to.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 01:16:11 AM »
To kill the wind noise I turn down my shirt collar and clip the mic to the inside of my shirt.
KX 500 Rider

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 07:21:45 AM »
Ha HAAAA!!!  Get down whicha bad self "AwfulSmokey" !!!  My man knows his music!

I enjoy scratch mixing and making rap tracks... so I'm a bit of a musicologist myself.  (Just checkout my MySpace address listed in my signature)

I got like 30GB's.  Classic Oldies... [70's Disco, Soul, Funk, Classic rock], [80's Retro, Dance, Rap, HipHop & smidgin of Metal/Rock], [90's Groove, Dance, Electronica, HardCore, Rap Soul RnB HipHop, Remixes], [2k+ Rap, HipHop, Rnb, some aggro rock, House music, Whitelabel Remixes, My own tracks]... and a buttload of Movie/TV Clip samples, BeatLoops....

...AND...

I gleeflully inherited a buncha Vinyl when my grand-father past away in '06 at the age of 87.

Among the gems I found in his collection was a boxed set of Herb Alpert and his Tijanua Brass Band.  It's amazing how much has been sampled from them.  I realized it when I gave it a listen all the way thru.

AwfulSmokey

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2008, 02:25:45 PM »
Ha HAAAA!!!  Get down whicha bad self "AwfulSmokey" !!!  My man knows his music!

I enjoy scratch mixing and making rap tracks... so I'm a bit of a musicologist myself.  (Just checkout my MySpace address listed in my signature)

I got like 30GB's.  Classic Oldies... [70's Disco, Soul, Funk, Classic rock], [80's Retro, Dance, Rap, HipHop & smidgin of Metal/Rock], [90's Groove, Dance, Electronica, HardCore, Rap Soul RnB HipHop, Remixes], [2k+ Rap, HipHop, Rnb, some aggro rock, House music, Whitelabel Remixes, My own tracks]... and a buttload of Movie/TV Clip samples, BeatLoops....

...AND...

I gleeflully inherited a buncha Vinyl when my grand-father past away in '06 at the age of 87.

Among the gems I found in his collection was a boxed set of Herb Alpert and his Tijanua Brass Band.  It's amazing how much has been sampled from them.  I realized it when I gave it a listen all the way thru.

I will never forget my "purple" tape! Yes folks, a cassette tape! :-D

Offline Good

• Yo.
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2008, 09:41:52 AM »
Great vid!  I'd like to make a few riding vids, today would've been great, also a few on the paintball field. :-D

Offline GDubb

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008, 04:21:12 PM »
Do you live around there or did you make a trip? I grew up in California City, Fremont Valley, and Cantil. Did some of my Jr high and High school years in Mojave. What I wouldnt give to live in the desert again and have days worth of riding at my doorstep!  I used to love going to the Jawbone Canyon Store. In elementary school the bus driver would stop there every morning so we could go in and buy candy. You were the coolest if you had one of the Jawbone Canyon Store T-shirts. Fond memories of childhood.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline TheGDog

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
Live in the Desert?  No... far from it.   

I grew up in Carson, CA. 

As a young adult lived in Wilmington, CA, then Gardena, CA.

Then moved to WestLA (Mar Vista/Culver City, CA) for about 10 years.

Then briefly in Belmont Shores in Long Beach, CA, Then two places in Huntington Beach for a while.

Now have a house in (West) Garden Grove, CA.

So yeah.... it's a drive for me, to be sure.

Offline Scargoes

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008, 04:37:27 PM »
Nice video. One of these days I'll get out there. There is just too many trails off my street that I don't need to venture out of town.