Author Topic: Help with KX500 stuck in 1st gear  (Read 5778 times)

Offline 98kaw5oo

Help with KX500 stuck in 1st gear
« on: September 10, 2009, 01:58:51 PM »
Hey guys. I was doing some average sand hill climbs and when i got to the top i shifted back to first to hit a trail and i could not shift into 2nd gear, My bike is stuck in 1st gear. When i take my hand to move up and down it has spring back pressure like normal but it just wont catch the next gear but seems like it wants to but lets go like maybe something stripped?. While riding it wont jump into another gear, It is permanently stuck in 1st gear with no neutral unless of course i pull in the clutch so i know the clutch works fine. So basically i am wondering if there is a possibility it can be anything i can fix or look at without having to pull the motor out and split the cases ?  Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline KX500freak

• KX500 - Have a Wheelie good weekend
Re: Help with KX500 stuck in 1st gear
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:42:56 PM »
i,m pretty sure you need to open the cases,
the shiftdrum is operated by the shiftrod on witch the shiftlever is mounted
in these parts the problem must occure when inspected
succes
Dutch Team Green 91-94-01 KX500

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2009, 11:07:00 PM »
I had a similar problem, when a spring came off of the mechanism behind the basket. There's a good chance you will be able to get it out of gear, after you pull the entire clutch basket. keep an eye open when draining oil for parts. The drum must be stuck, but you can get in there and manually turn it. Hopefully, its minor and won't require splitting the cases.

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 12:14:09 AM »
I had a similar problem, when a spring came off of the mechanism behind the basket. There's a good chance you will be able to get it out of gear, after you pull the entire clutch basket. keep an eye open when draining oil for parts. The drum must be stuck, but you can get in there and manually turn it. Hopefully, its minor and won't require splitting the cases.

Hillcimb: Was your clutch working properly because my clutch seems fine and normal like always. It seems like the shift lever shaft that goes into the engine is trying to grab something and grabs it slightly/halfway then it slips off. Like something is wore out or a gear or something only has half its teeth. I know i need to start getting into it but i am not a mechanic and do not want to split the cases unless it is a last resort but i have a hunch i will have to. If i do do i have to pull the motor out of the bike?

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 01:24:24 AM »
Yeah, pulling in the clutch was the only way to push it around to load it back up in the truck. Same symptoms, but not 100% sure what your bike is doing. No matter what you will have to drain oil, pull the clutches and basket. The shift mechanism is right there behind the basket. There is the deal that the shifter pushes into the drum, and the drum itself that clicks into gear then returns to its original position. If that slider deal sticks to the drum and doesn't spring back or the drum doesn't complete the shift then it will act that way. I think its even possible to mess with it while leaving the basket in there. My similar issue happened on my 250 which has the inspection cover for the clutch. I bet the cases will not have to be split. Get her up on a stand and get into it. Make sure the little spring on top of the mechanism in there is pulling the slider back to its original position. The other spring on bottom, is the one you still feel.
  I'm no mechanic either. I just wear-out parts, then I get on here, and figure out what I did, then what I need to do. Maybe someone else can chime in here and give better detail, and actually know what all of the parts that I'm describing are called.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 01:27:11 AM »

I know i need to start getting into it but i am not a mechanic and do not want to split the cases unless it is a last resort but i have a hunch i will have to. If i do do i have to pull the motor out of the bike?
[/quote]

Yes.
I'm not a mechanic either.  I'm an educated parts replacer.  I just keep replacing parts until it runs correctly.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 01:53:39 AM by Danger4u2 »
KX 500 Rider

Offline KXcam22

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 03:40:35 AM »
I had that exact thing happen on my 92 when the bike was new, except mine was 3rd gear.   What happened is that the shft mechanism that ratchets the shift drum got hung up somehow on a sharp edge.  I took the clutch side case off to fix it, just jiggled it until it freed up.  THe ratchet part is partly hidden by the clutch but I didn't have to remove it to get it working.  Didn't fid a real cause and it never happened again.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 03:51:50 AM »
Thanks for the info fellows. It looks like i will start with the clutch basket side then cross my fingers its something in there, I do have a clymers manual but it is not a very good manual for the homeowner type mechanic as its for different size motors and years but i will look through it, I will chime back in the next couple days when i get into it as i will probably need an answer on something. Thanks guys.

Offline JustinSB

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 04:22:00 AM »
The Cylmer manual is great. Its pretty easy in there. Getting the clutch nut off can be kind of a pain, but make sure you have the right tools.

Offline 98kaw5oo

UPDATE: Help with KX500 stuck in 1st gear
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 06:35:58 AM »
I drained the oil,coolant and pulled off the Clutch cover/disconnected the power valve wheel this morning and the oil was pretty dirty i guess. I did not remove the clutch assembly though. So with the bike still stuck in gear i moved it forward a few times and then i used my hand on the shift lever a bunch of times up and down to try to get it into another gear and neutral. All of a sudden it goes into the gears and neutral like it should. It shifts through all of the gears and will go back into neutral like it should. Now i can feel it click fully into each gear like normal. It seems all fixed whatever bug it had or whatever was sticking. Any suggestions on what it could have been? or what i should look at?  Is there anything i can clean or look at before i put the cover back on? Could my oil have been way too dirty?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 08:02:22 AM by 98kaw5oo »

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2009, 07:09:20 AM »
It shifts fine now like it used to, I took it down the street and went through all the gears no problem.

Offline serafin

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2009, 10:15:50 AM »
Did you notice any metal pieces in the drained oil?  Get yourself a magnetic drain plug to catch debris.

Serafin

Offline 98kaw5oo

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »
I did not notice any metal in the oil but who knows. I should get a magnetic drain plug.
Thanks to everyone for the tips/suggestions.