Author Topic: Ty Davis Kit???  (Read 3103 times)

HULKSTER

Ty Davis Kit???
« on: October 01, 2003, 02:21:01 AM »
Ok....I was checking out the Ty Davis KX5 kit.

I notice you have to use thier "lowboy" pipe with that tank setup. Is there any OTHER exhaust alternatives? It don't say much about the pipe (where it helps or adds or anything).

teamgreen500

Ty Davis Kit???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2003, 03:03:43 AM »
Nope.

You'll be using his pipe. That's why I say,"Protect that pipe!"

Manny

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Ty Davis Kit???
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2003, 03:12:09 AM »
Rick has the information on this setup. I believe he is running it and is quite happy.

HULKSTER

Ty Davis Kit???
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2003, 12:50:11 AM »
Rick...Any Comments?

Also...where does this pipe make its power?

mikesmith

Ty Davis Kit???
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2003, 06:36:28 AM »
Hulkster,if you want to check Ricks comments go to pg4 look at "Ty-Davis kit questions" or pg5 "Desert Tank".Theres some good info there from Ricks old post.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
Ty Davis Kit???
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2003, 07:17:33 AM »

Rick

Ty Davis Kit???
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2003, 09:37:11 AM »
Yup, still love the pipe and tank mods.  The pipe they offer is the only pipe that will work with the new tank, but quite frankly, I think it is a better pipe configuration than the stock configuration.  For example, the problem with the top pipe mount is gone, as the top mount becomes the bottom radiator mounting bolt.  Also, we all know folks who have tweaked their pipe during a get-off, and had the pipe be disfigured just enough to touch the bottom of the gas tank above the kick start lever.  Not only does this ruin a perfectly good tank, it can result in a fire that will cook enough hotdogs for the whole senior class at the local highschool.  Try explaining that to the spousal unit...  If I were to switch back to the old tank style (something I can't imagine I would ever consider), I would keep the new pipe configuration.  Also, as I have mentioned in several other posts, the new pipe is much stronger than anything else on the market, so will last a long time.

The only problem I have had was a crack in the tank at the top mounting bolts.  Ty sent a new one immediately, and I sent the old one back for inspection.  As I installed the new tank, I found what I believe might be the problem, namely that the top mounting nuts molded into the plastic are positioned just a little too low, causing the tank to ride just above the rubber mounts on the top of the top frame tube.  In a nutshell, the top section of the tank was stressed because it did not rest on the top frame tube, but rather on the mounting bolts.  The solution was to elongate the holes in the top mounting pieces so the tank rides on the rubber over the top tube instead of being supported by the top mounting hardware.  Not had a problem since.

Would I buy it again?  Without a doubt, this is the only setup I would use on a KX500.  A side benefit:  more graphic selections.

On the power band issue, I did give up some top end, but not enough to matter.  The only place I could see this to be a problem is in the southern CA desert races with the wide open lake beds.  However, the difference is so small, you would problably been beat by the guy who just passed you anyway.

More specific questions, just post 'em up...

Rick