Author Topic: Handle Bars/ Tripple tree  (Read 1511 times)

country73

Handle Bars/ Tripple tree
« on: February 07, 2008, 03:21:03 PM »
I have a 2001 Kx500.  I am a new fairly new rider not much experiance.  This is the first bike that i have ever owned.  Enough of that heres my question.

I tend to crash some but thats normal right  :-D .  Anyways when i crash my bars tend to move in one direction and the bar mount and bars are not straight.   I  have to find a tree or rock and straitin them out a few clicks.  I do have the stock items on it. I have went through and tightened everything up and replaced the  rubber bushings for the mount.  I was thinking maybe just replacing the whole set up but i wanted to make sure before spending that kind of cash.  If anyone can help that would be great.  It gets old after a while straitin them out.  Thanks for the help.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Handle Bars/ Tripple tree
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »
Sounds like you are doing everything right. I don't mind as much because them moving a little stops the bars from bending. The rubber bushings keep out alot of vibration too, but some guys solid mount their bars. The loosen it up, staighten, tighten down-method should be all you can really do. New bushings should have helped. What about the metal cap washers? are they smashed inside out?
 I opted for solid bark busters. They save the bars, levers, perches, front brake, throttle, and cables. They keep your fingers from getting smashed by limbs, trees or crashes. They also keep the bars from really digging into the ground. I haven't broke or bent anything on the bars since installing them......
 If you don't wreck, you're probably not riding hard enough :-D :-D :-D :-D

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Handle Bars/ Tripple tree
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2008, 01:43:23 AM »
Those rubber bar mounts need to go away. The solid alumn. mounts are hard to fine, but some folks on this web site have machined there own. Have a machine shop spec out the rubber mounts and machine you an alumn. mount. You need solid mounts for the bars; it helps the over all feel of the front end. Each time I have ever twisted up the front end I remove the front wheel, front forks, and I clean the inner area of the triple clamps that hold the front legs. Clean with light steel wool and then contact cleaner. This helps provide a good clamping force. Torque the triple clamp bolts is very important. Follow the torque spec and torque pattern listed in a service manual. Axle alignment and torque the pinch bolts is very important. All these things well help reset the front end and keep the front tracking like it should and keep the forks from binding in the clamps. Do you have a service manual? Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 02:36:58 AM by hughes »
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com