Author Topic: cylinder cutaway pics  (Read 4412 times)

stewart

cylinder cutaway pics
« on: January 01, 2008, 12:34:52 PM »
took a cylinder and halfed it then quartered one half,, to show exh, cracking around kips barrel valves they actully lock the valves from rotating caught this one on dyno was down 10 hp,, also wanted all to look at wall thick ness

stewart

Re: cylinder cutaway pics
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 12:37:08 PM »
ps helps to port after cut into ...ha ha ,,, insted of open mind for a diffrent view,, i say open cylinder for a diffrent view
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 12:39:39 PM by stewart »

Offline BDI

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 01:52:25 PM »
I have been wanting to do something like that for a while. I would like to figure out how to cut it apart by the casting seams but that would be very diffacult. I have wondered if you used the acid bath that they use to strip the plating for long enough if you could beat it and get it to come apart do to the fact that the acid bath really attacks the seams. I think that is a great idea Stewart you can look at things in a whole new way.
Smoke every cigarette like It's your last and ride like you stole something!!!

Offline demographic

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 10:10:23 PM »
I have been wanting to do something like that for a while. I would like to figure out how to cut it apart by the casting seams but that would be very diffacult. I have wondered if you used the acid bath that they use to strip the plating for long enough if you could beat it and get it to come apart do to the fact that the acid bath really attacks the seams. I think that is a great idea Stewart you can look at things in a whole new way.

I doubt that would work as its the mold that was two piece but the cylinder is one piece of cast aluminium, those seams are just the lines where the moulds meet so there is no seam through the cylinder wall, what you are seeing is only the flashing where the two molds met.
This article about making a boardtrack racer gives a reasonable idea how its done but its not on anything like as complex a casting...
http://www.flashbackfab.com/pages/excel29.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008, 10:14:45 PM by demographic »

Offline BDI

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2008, 10:09:28 AM »
I have a thorough grasp on metal casting and how it works and I'm sure your right about what i'm talking about not working or I would have allready done it to make molds to cast my own cylinders.For whatever reason when you have a cylinder replated a few times the acid bath that they use to strip the old plating really goes after the seams and you wind up having to weld the seams in the exhaust port and intake because they crack all the way through. It's like there is more porosity in the seems It may have something to do with the casting process. I would assume they are using something like the lost wax mold making process to cast the cylinders.

P.S. that is a cool site I have wanted to get into metal casting at home for a long time but I'm to lazy to build my own kiln and to buy one Is very expensive but there are lots of sites out their with good info on how to do it at home.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:39:16 PM by BDI »

Offline bigbellybob

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 10:54:09 AM »
stewart now you need to paint all the different areas with a different color.
IF RIDING IS OUTLAWED ONLY OUTLAWS WILL RIDE

sponsor
http://www.steelmx.com/

Offline demographic

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 11:32:43 AM »
I have a thorough grasp on metal casting and how it works and I'm sure your right about what i'm talking about not working or I would have allready done it to make molds to cast my own cylinders.For whatever reason when you have a cylinder replated a few times the acid bath that they use to strip the old plating really goes after the seams and you wind up having to weld the seams in the exhaust port and intake because they crack all the way through. It's like there is more porosity in the seems It may have some thing to do with the casting process. I would assume they are using something like the lost wax mold making process to cast the cylinders.

P.S. that is a cool site I have wanted to get into metal casting at home for a long time but I'm to lazy to build my own kiln and to buy one Is very expensive but there are lots of sites out their with good info on how to do it at home.

I could well be wrong but I wouldn't be surprised if those areas where theres more porosity are where there had been unfused chaplets to hold the core in place or if the cylinder is cast in two operations the join might be seen from the underside of the transfer ports.
If thats the case one part could be cast first then it acts as a centre for the mold.

You got me thinking now as at first I thought you were talking about the cylinder centreline thats just where the two molds meet but if you were talking about the bit where the transfer port undersides meet the cylinder wall it could be a two pisce operation.

Mmm

stewart

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 12:23:18 PM »
just for your info this cylinder had been replated ...not by max power though...it has the usaul intake casting bridge flaws   ,, and the breaks in the exh boster ports are the worst i had seen   ,, some one  sold me this on fleebay...o well   ifigure they will have the mojo on them ,,not me i cut it up so no one else  would have problems and to learn from it ..making the best out of somthing bad

Offline BDI

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:48 PM »
It would be cool if you could take a cylinder apart by its casting seems because then you could make plaster molds from that then make all the changes you would like to make to the cylinder to the plaster molds then you make all the parts that make up the cylinder from wax. then you assemble the wax parts to make a cylinder then that gets coated with a speicial mold making media that fills all the voids and incases the wax cylinder. Then you fire it in a kiln that hardens the mold and burns out all the wax leaving the empty space of a cylinder. then you fill that space with molten aluminum, once it cools then you can break off the mold and you have a cylinder minus all the machine work and plating. This can be done in your back yard,I have literally seen a video of asian people making street bike wheels in a mud hut next to a rice pattie.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 02:44:41 PM by BDI »

Offline demographic

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2008, 08:53:39 AM »
It would be cool if you could take a cylinder apart by its casting seems because then you could make plaster molds from that then make all the changes you would like to make to the cylinder to the plaster molds then you make all the parts that make up the cylinder from wax. then you assemble the wax parts to make a cylinder then that gets coated with a speicial mold making media that fills all the voids and incases the wax cylinder. Then you fire it in a kiln that hardens the mold and burns out all the wax leaving the empty space of a cylinder. then you fill that space with molten aluminum, once it cools then you can break off the mold and you have a cylinder minus all the machine work and plating. This can be done in your back yard,I have literally seen a video of asian people making street bike wheels in a mud hut next to a rice pattie.
Its quite possible you have already seen this but if not you might find it interesting, regards Scott.

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/

Offline Dutch-K5 Fan

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 06:05:47 AM »

The only problem of copying that way is, your NEW cilinder will be smaller.
Every 10mm will shrink about 0.15mm if it cools from melting temperature to normale.
For a wheel not much a problem, for a cilinder to be 2mm smaller :? :? :?
Will not fit I'm afried.

It would be tremendous to build your own cilinder to own spec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil: :evil:
Bigbores or strokers can be made with eas

Dutchie

Proud owner of a KX500AF