Author Topic: Alcoholic K5  (Read 8563 times)

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
Re: Alcoholic K5
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2007, 07:12:40 AM »
  He also pointed out that VP fuel is just really high octane pump gas.

I would say your friend has not run VP fuels, they are not just high octane pump gas, go to the VP website and read up on the fuels. If you've ever run U2, U4, or CMG you wouldn't think they are high octane pump gas.
  You are probably right that he doesn't know the composition of the fuel, but this was his response to me asking him if VP was alcohol based. I'm the one with the least experience, so I'm trying my best to have helpful comments without talking too much about what I have no idea about. Thank you for the education on the VP. My buddy has been racing since the mid 80's, (amatuer and Pro Hillclimb)and has alot of accumulated knowledge, but obviously not a genius. I like the smell and the power of the oxidizers and all that, but I race and ride for fun on the same bikes and feel good about my current jetting and fuel bills. We both have seen guys buying 5 gallon pales for 80 bucks and then fighting with jetting and not always faster. Some day I hope to have race bikes and play bikes. Then I will definately do my homework, and figure out which fuel will haul the mail the best. I take it you use the oxidized VP to race, what about trail riding?

Offline don46

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2007, 09:53:04 AM »
For trailriding I use VP C-12 50/50. I don't use the same bikes for competition and trail riding  4t for the trails 2t for hillclimbing, well at least for the most part, we have a 04 ZX-10 used in the open classes
Live today, for tomorrow may never come

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2007, 10:59:01 PM »
Hey guys cheers for the input,  this info is gold. Stewart did you say you have run methanol before? If so is there any chance you could help me out with some head measurements, eg( squish angle, head volume etc). I am in new territories now and have no real idea hahaha  :?. If it helps, so far i have a gnarly dessert pipe, v-force 3 reeds, 88mm bore, I will cut the port window in the piston and I will be getting a lectron 44mm carb. Cheers guys  :mrgreen:

Offline Mhardee

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2007, 09:38:04 AM »
I've run methanol in AMA Superbikes with no problems once jetted.  I mixed my fuel 80%methanol, 20% tolulene and 2oz marvel mystery oil per gallon. Bike ran marginal on cloudy cool days but, hot/humid 85 plus weather look out.

Have not run U2 in my K5 but, VP C12 is off the hook once jetted for it.

Good luck

I was gonna bring up Marvel Mystery Oil... we run methanol powered Sprint Cars (1375 lbs with driver and 927 horsepower).. the power to weight ratio is killer!
Anyway, it's a MUST to run Marvel through anything that had Methanol in it an stored for any short/long period.. If not, it WILL get a calcified look to it.. We also add a top-end lubricant to every drum of methanol, but, I suspect that would not be necessary with two-stroke mixture..

And, everyone is correct - the smell is to die for! Just don't smoke around it - you'll not SEE the flame but you d**n sure will feel it! (personal experience talking here)...

Mark
'03 KX500
AMA
MMC
VSTA

stewart

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2007, 10:21:34 AM »
iran it for weeks on dyno in 44 lectron  rangood but i could make as much hp withvp u2 or cmp  gas with less trouble

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2007, 04:19:10 PM »
Yes I agree the vp, U2 or cmp fuels sound better, but for my case it will be less than half the price to run methanol, so thats the route I will have to take. Also how much have you guys paid for your lectron 44mm carbs?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 09:37:14 PM by Rotorised »

stewart

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2007, 12:57:55 AM »
400.00 with the cable and throtell assembly  and power jet

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2007, 07:48:56 AM »
Is that through packard racing?

stewart

« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 08:27:00 AM »
yes

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 11:32:58 AM »
Hey guys I just spoke to denis packard about a lectron 44mm carb and apparently i will need a fuel pump of some sort. What are you guys here running? Also I have done some reading on the site and have chosen to run the head at 4 degrees sqwish and 36cc volume, does this sound right?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 07:48:34 PM by Rotorised »

Offline Rotorised

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 07:53:06 PM »
Anyone  :?