Author Topic: Trail Bike  (Read 2528 times)

CAduner

Trail Bike
« on: July 05, 2007, 04:15:13 PM »
Took the 87' K500 out trail riding this past weekend and was amazed at how well these bikes work in terrain other than wide open desert flats and dunes.  My question is what are some must have add ons to make this bike a better trail  bike(if possible)?

Offline KXcam22

Re: Trail Bike
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 04:45:49 PM »
Thats easy!  Reed spacer and boysen dual stage reeds really smooth out the bottom end for cheap.  A flywheel weight is a bonus if you are so inclined.  The gnarly pipe makes a real noticeable difference.  Rad overflow bottle can be made for free.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 04:57:40 PM »
Thats easy!  Reed spacer and boysen dual stage reeds really smooth out the bottom end for cheap.  A flywheel weight is a bonus if you are so inclined.  The gnarly pipe makes a real noticeable difference.  Rad overflow bottle can be made for free.  Hope this helps. Cam.

Don't forget a Moose Racing engine skid plate.

Offline monster malibu

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 01:05:11 AM »
My bike is setup for trail riding right now and has the following- Pro Circuit Platinum pipe, mild porting, Boyesen rad valve/moose racing torque spacer,13/47 sprockets. This seems to be a ok trail setup for me, but I want more.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 03:18:08 AM »
 Hydraulic clutch line, clutch-ease box, or extending clutch arm helps a bunch on tight trails where you can't be on the gas much. Bark busters also a money saver, not necessarily a perfomance mod. What about some new rubber? Always seems to improve my bikes with simple stuff. Sounds like you're already real close to golden now.

CAduner

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 11:34:22 AM »
Thaks for all the suggestions.   

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 12:34:30 PM »
One of the biggest key's to me is suspension.  I'm a big guy racing hare scrambles in the northeast, (some tight woods here)  and the best thing I did was getting my suspension valved and sprung for my weight and level.  I had FCR Suspencion in Ohio do mine, they did a lot of work to it and did an awesome job, I absolutly love it.  I mess around with the clickers alot and it really helps as well.  Air pressure and tire selection can make a big difference in handling too out in the woods too, just keep that in mind.
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

CAduner

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »
I am planning on rebuilding the forks, and sending the rear shock to Bob Bell at Precison Concepts( They are the company that do the suspension for the Honda Baja 1000 team).  I also agree that suspension is one of the most important aspects of a good handling/riding bike.