Author Topic: How Much Power Will My Bike Make?  (Read 1790 times)

MetalMan1011

How Much Power Will My Bike Make?
« on: April 17, 2007, 10:58:22 AM »
Now I live at an elevation of 8500', but this summer I am going to be moving to Alaska at an elvation of 400'.  Will the bike be drasticly different or will there only be a modest change of performance?  And the bike will be harder to kick because of more compression, right?  I hope its not too much harder because I can barely do it now :-D

Offline KXcam22

Re: How Much Power Will My Bike Make?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 02:34:13 AM »
Metal man,
  You woun't notice anything in the way of kicking.  Given that you have rejetted properly for Alaska, your bike will run much crisper at the lower elevation.  It's tough to completely rejet a bike for high elevation without a lot of needle testing work.  If you are driving up stop by for a killer ride. I am most likely on the route. Cam.

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 05:10:08 AM »
MM101,
 Is turning the old girl over giving you trouble, or getting it to light up?
 check this out for starting a big bore two stroke similar to yours.
http://media.putfile.com/Crankin-up
 Don't be concerned with the color of the bike or the dude kickin' it. (insert hair pulling out smiley here)
I thought I had the starting thing down. Ruined a brand new pair of a'star 6's. and then saw this short vid.
   The thing I was missing was  pushing the kicker JUST past tdc and then giving it a good whail.
 My KX is much easier to spin over than the red bike. If I'm not mistaken the later model KX kips is cracked open at rest to ease starting for F.R.O.G.'s*  like me.

"If you are driving up stop by for a killer ride. I am most likely on the route. Cam."
                  (never pass up an opportunity to ride with a Silverback!)

I am barely able to drag & drop links and a hunt and peck one finger typest.
I wish I had the video and dig camera talents to do my own  work instead of pirating other folks  stuff.
 (maybe during recovery from carpel tunn surg I'll learn sumtin')
 Tuck \o/
                                          [F.R.O.G. = Friggin' Really Old Guy ]
"The Truth Has No Agenda"

MetalMan1011

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 10:13:04 AM »
It's not really that hard to start it I just thought it might be have more compression at a lower altitude.  I can actually start it within a few kicks when its cold and on the first kick when its warmed up.  The only time I actually have any trouble is when I ride it on the road (it has a license plate) and I dont wear riding boots.  It doesnt help being 5'7" and a 140 lbs. either :-D