Author Topic: primary gear 1986 kx 500  (Read 1780 times)

Offline jyeomans

primary gear 1986 kx 500
« on: June 02, 2012, 03:06:41 PM »
Hi all,

I was in the process of tearing my 1986 kx 500 motor apart and am having trouble removing the primary gear.
I have the Clymer manual, but it's extremely vague on this topic.
I split the cases but am unable to pull the crank from the right side case with removing the primary gear.
Anyone have any experience?
All of the kx 250's I have done in the past just use a snap ring and then it pulls right off.

Offline awak100

Re: primary gear 1986 kx 500
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 04:17:21 PM »
I think that 86 has a nut with a key on the crank, old style.  Newer k5's have a snap ring style.  Only thing I can think of, with nut removed, the key is probably swisted a little. Might have to use a puller to remove it.  Kawa went to splines on crank with newer bikes because the keys kept shearing off.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 06:19:21 PM »
You are right.
There is a nut and washer that holds the gear to the shaft.
It is held in time by a key.
If the key is sheared you will need to use a puller.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline awak100

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 01:26:12 AM »
Another thing you might be able to take a block of wood and tap on gear in reverse rotation. Meaning if your on the right side of the bike looking at crank, you would tap the primary gear counter clockwise, dont get to horseee with it though.  That if you dont have a puller. A puller would be best.  When you get it off, emery cloth the crank shaft a little. And I would install a new Key, probably dont cost that much, maybe 3.00, I would put a new key in it.