Author Topic: Interesting moment today  (Read 1964 times)

Offline c-152

Interesting moment today
« on: March 25, 2007, 08:18:24 AM »
I am healing a back injury an so my poor kx500 as been sitting without fuel for some time.  I got out and started it today and found two interesting points
1. The the throttle stuck open  :|
2. my kill switch doesn't work  :oops:

Both of these issues were not present when I put it away last.

O well it will give me something to work on - o yeah - d**n its time to ride

I guess thats my lesson for not properly storing my bike when it isnt going to be used for a while
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 08:29:22 AM by c-152 »
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline kx666

Re: Interesting moment today
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 12:38:46 PM »
i have had isssues with the kill switch, i think it was from moisture. it self corrected  after drying.

Offline MadKaw

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 01:48:51 PM »
didn't hurt the motor did it?...thats scary!
Deviate from the Norm!
Father!...The sleeper has Awaken!!!

2001 Harley Sportster xlh1200
'73 Suzuki GT550
'75 Suzuki GT550
'74 Kawasaki Z1 900
'79 Yamaha GT80
'93 KX500*******
'84 Yamaha Riva 180z scooter
08 Q-link Pegasus scooter first new rid

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 09:54:59 PM »
I am healing a back injury an so my poor kx500 as been sitting without fuel for some time.  I got out and started it today and found two interesting points
1. The the throttle stuck open  :|
2. my kill switch doesn't work  :oops:

Both of these issues were not present when I put it away last.

O well it will give me something to work on - o yeah - d**n its time to ride

I guess thats my lesson for not properly storing my bike when it isnt going to be used for a while

Kawasaki kill switches do become faulty. Like others commented, sometimes moisture seeps past the button.

As for your throttle sticking, I hope it was not in motion! I CRINGE at the thought of a KX500 throttle sticking WO!!!!!!!!!!!!!  It happend to me on my  brand new 1988 KX125, and that was horrifying enough !

I found this vid of you while your KX500's throttle was stuck WO (I was confused why you had a red KX) LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYQ5nxfQ3vI
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 10:01:53 PM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline c-152

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 12:27:56 AM »
Thanks for the tip about the kill switch, I will start there.  Luckily, I was not moving.  I hope no damage was done,  it did not sound like it.  I am sure sitting dry caused it.  After I get it running (at a more reasonable pace) I will run a compression test to ensure it is okay.  I am on break at work now so I will have to check the vid when I get home - Filters
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."