Author Topic: Re-sleve  (Read 2450 times)

Offline medicman

Re-sleve
« on: March 29, 2007, 04:33:54 PM »
hey guys, I bought a 04 kx500 and wanted to have the top end done just as a prevenitive mesure. the guy i had do it said the nikisil had some gouges in it from sand. he suggested that i have it re-sleved insted of bored/ resealed. how is the reliability and perfomance with a re-sleved piston? thanks for your help!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Re: Re-sleve
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 12:37:06 AM »
The cylinder could just be re-plated. lukesracing.com 150.00 for mine last year. Without looking at you cylinder it hard to determind the damage.
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

Offline BigGreenMachine

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 01:14:56 AM »
Sleeves make the bike run hotter then with a Nikisel sleeve. I bet it would cost more too since your including the cost of the sleeve plus labor to have it installed.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 01:26:40 AM »
hey guys, I bought a 04 kx500 and wanted to have the top end done just as a prevenitive mesure. the guy i had do it said the nikisil had some gouges in it from sand. he suggested that i have it re-sleved insted of bored/ resealed. how is the reliability and perfomance with a re-sleved piston? thanks for your help!

Sleeves run hotter and seem to wear faster, but the advantage of sleeves is you can bore then a few times before replacing them, as plating has to be replated.. But plating lasts much longer IMO. If I were going to sleeve, I'd just have purchased a CR500.

Offline Hillclimb#42

• '97 kx 500, '96 kx 250, '99 KTM 380
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 10:16:46 AM »
 Go with the nika-cell, buddy. It is perfect fix for your problem. Hope you don't have to wait for a month to get it back like I did. They hone it out fill it in and machine it back out to stock spec's. I had some damage to my ports and still come out ahead by having them fix it. Fresh, stock-cylinder with a new piston, and a little time to clean her up, oh heck ya. Put on a nasty back tire with the money you save!!!!!! 

stewart

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 11:32:26 AM »
i would not sleeve the late cylinder have max -power    replate

Offline medicman

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 12:06:54 PM »
Well i hope i dident make a mistake.... I had the bike resleved last week and it runs great! I should of waited a little longer and weighed my options, but i got impatient and just did what the guy at my local shop said. here is another question? once a cylinder is resleved can it be removed and re-plated?

Offline maddoggy

• K5 @ ST. ANTHONY DUNES
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 03:34:06 PM »
when they sleaved the cylinder they likely machined the jug to a larger diam. to accept the thickness of the sleave. the only way to get the original size back would be to have a machine shop build it back up and machine back to proper spec. then of course comes the nickasil plating. although i am not even certain that it can be done. just some thoughts, MADDOGGY.