Author Topic: woodsy...  (Read 3401 times)

QuantumDuck

woodsy...
« on: June 05, 2003, 01:55:19 AM »
In another post you mentioned your KX5 was street legal...I'm getting ready to get mine inspected and titled for street use also...

What are you doin for tires/rims? Do you use street/dirt tires or do you have a separate set of rims and tires for the street and dirt?

Sharc

Sweet Legal KX
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2003, 02:46:56 AM »
What state are you guys in with your street legal K5's...? I just installed an Eletrix 180watt lighting coil, so have plenty of juice for lights. Can I get street legal in CA...?

Sharc

QuantumDuck

woodsy...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2003, 04:02:48 AM »
Sharc...I'm in Ohio, but I have seen street legal KX5's for sale in California...every state has it's own laws for street legality..in Ohio I just need to have working DOT approved headlights (hi and low beam), at least one working brake (front or back), a working brake light, horn, and one mirror....I have to fill out a "Self-Assembled Vehicle" form with $50 and they will send me a receipt with a number...I take that number and go to the inspection station and inspected for road safetiness...then I take that paper and a my notorized bill of sale to the BMV...get it inspected again and get the title...then I take the title, notorized bill of sale and the inspection sheet and I get my plate...

No sweat huh? :mrgreen:

woodsy

woodsy...
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2003, 05:10:38 AM »
Hi QD:
For tires Kenda makes this tire called a K760 Trak Master2.  It has the DOT stamp front and rear and they make it in 19inch~!  This is one AWESOME tire!  I know LOTS of Motocrossers in my area that are buying them for TRACK use!!  If you really want to be "legal" and still 95% woods ripping I STRONGLY recommend them!  Buy the 120/90 - 19 for the rear and the 80/100 21 front and your good to go.
I am currently running Michilen's (cheating as far as my legal status goes) but only because my 5 EATS rubber (my fault - I cant stay off the throttle - frikkin HP is ADDICTIVE) and I got a set REAL cheap!
The Kenda will outlast ANYTHINIG I have ran so far (including Dunlops!).
The rear is simular to the iinfamous Dunlop 752 in design!!
Hope this helps!
Woodsy

QuantumDuck

woodsy...
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2003, 01:46:44 AM »
Thanks woodsy.....not quite what I was hopin for though..I was hopin for a more street biased tire...they are just REALLY hard to come by in a 19in size...I have 17in hoops, I'm just too lazy (read:broke) to get the spokes and lace them up...

all in good time though...

I have my KX5 and all the lights, plus I have access to dealer plates so I'm not completly without a ride :twisted:

Offline John

• http://www.hallbergs.net
Leagal exhaust.
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2003, 09:27:25 AM »
My bike is also road registred. I've got lights and all. The only thing is that is makes a lot of noise - nice noise, but too load. Is there anyone who's got an idea how to make it more silent? I've got a ProCircuit race can which doesn't help...

woodsy

woodsy...
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2003, 06:08:01 PM »
Hi John:
I bought a Pro Circuit Spark Arrestor for mine.  VERY quiet and guess what - NO noticeable power loss!  This is BY FAR superior to any other spark arrestor/silencer I have ever owned!  
Scott