Author Topic: Anyone painted their plastics a different color w/ success?  (Read 1706 times)

liilpa09

Anyone painted their plastics a different color w/ success?
« on: September 17, 2006, 12:50:26 PM »
Just wondering if anyone has painted any of their plastics and had good results. I recently painted the fork guard clamp pieces (the white plastic pieces at the top of the fork guard and also the pieces the brake fluid line goes through for the front) with primer and black paint and it turned out really well. I know the radiator cover panels would probably be a bad idea since my knees are constantly in contact with them, but I was thinking of doing the number plate and rear side panels. Let me know if anyone has any experience with this and how it turned out.

Offline KXcam22

Re: Anyone painted their plastics a different color w/ success?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 04:38:42 PM »
Liil,
  I am running PVC pipe fork tube guards that I painted with "Krylon" fusion plastic paint.  It's pretty tough paint but does chip a small amount from rock roost.  I don't know how well painting something like your tank would work since fuel vapors constantly seep through.  I ran into a website where they were restoring and racing vintage canams. They sanded the plastic tanks and painted them with good results (they say). Cam.

Offline Arigato

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 03:27:50 AM »
If you add a flex agent to the paint it will last longer than just straight paint.  However, since it's plastic, it will eventually crack and peel.

Offline Danger4u2

• Administrator
  • KX500 is Danger4u2 Returning from light speed pic.
    • KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 06:19:06 AM »
We do plastic bead blasting where I work and the flex additive works.  I have people all the time asking me to remove paint from plastic auto bumpers.  Plastic bead cracks the paint off and if it has flex additive it has a little "give" to the paint and will not come off well.  We quit working on plastic bumpers, by the time the beads go thru the paint it kind of chews on the plastic and makes it rough.  There are commercial can paints advertised as paint made for plastic, I have not used any so I can't say if they are good or bad.
Danger
KX 500 Rider

Offline 5dracing

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2006, 02:56:12 PM »
I painted the front number plate and the side panels with krylon fusion. It worked well. After painting the parts sat for a few days. I then put on clear plastic number backgrounds and it has held up well. I have a small amount of peel/rub at the vent area on the side covers, other than that they are in good shape yet. I painted them nearly a year ago to see if I would like black and just have'nt felt the need to change it.
The torch has been passed; Father to Son. He is faster!!!

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

mikesmith

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:53:16 PM »
I think it was '93 or '94 that Pro-Circuit painted their team bikes plastic, and to keep it looking good it was repainted each race.I think the green looks GOOD!