Author Topic: HELP!!!! Coolant in OIL question  (Read 4311 times)

kawman

HELP!!!! Coolant in OIL question
« on: May 20, 2003, 02:57:03 PM »
All,
Several months ago I purchased a 94 KX500 and luv it.  Problem is that I changed the oil this past weekend it looks cream colored.  After doing so, I rode it for about hour, parked it and noticed oil leaking out of the drive sprocket seal.  Upon further checking the the oil level had increased (dramatically).  My question is what is the problem here?  In talking with Kawasaki they said the bike probably had a cracked head or something and would need replaced.  I understand this "could" be the problem but is it likely?  Are KX's known for this problem coming from somewhere else?  What the heck should I do.  If the jug or head need to be replaced who can I get them from and any ideas on price???? :(

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2003, 03:20:09 PM »
For the coolant in the oil problem I would look at the water pump assembly. The oil leaking from the countershaft is common, they (Kawasaki) put too small of an o-ring in there.

Pull the countershaft sprocket, slide the metal collar out and pop the little $6.00 seal out - might as well change it while you're in there. Look along the shaft and you will see a small o-ring. Slide it off the shaft and go to Home Depot and get one thats the same diameter, but it will be slightly thicker. Good news is it won't leak near as often and it's cheaper than a stock one. :lol:

Rick

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 02:04:33 AM »
I agree completely.  The water pump seal is most likely the problem.  Easy to change, and not real expensive.  The counter shaft o-ring is the right fix as well.  My new bikes have leaked here immediately after delivery, so always swap to a slightly thicker o-ring at the first sign of a leak.

As a note, I have never had a 2-stroke with a cracked head or a cracked jug.  I am sure there is no doubt one out there somewhere, but have never talked to anyone with this problem.  I would therefore doubt your problem is anything this serious.  However, if you find you have one of these issues, post a new thread, and we'll get you to the right folks to get you back on your bike. :lol:

Rick

Hogwylde

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 05:45:52 AM »
Just had the cream colored tranny oil problem with my bike.  It's leaking coolent thru the water pump seal.  Pull the clutch cover off and replace the seal.  Check the bearings while you have it apart too.

If your local Kawi dealer told you it has a cracked head or jug, he's stupid.  There is no way for coolant to get from the combustion chamber into the tranny.  Coolant leaking there would only be able to get into the bottom of the crankcase or blown out the exhaust.  More likely though, the combustion gasses would be leaking into the cooling system and blowing it out the overflow while you overheat.

kawman

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2003, 10:13:22 AM »
:o   Excellent.  Thanks for the advice.  I will replace the O-ring shortly.  Now how about the sprocket shaft seal.  Obviously, it is leaking because of the oil level increase but is it faulty?  Can this seal be changed without splitting the case?  Thanks! :?:

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2003, 11:04:28 AM »
The leak is MOST likely because the o-ring is shot, That seal very rarely leaks. Once you have the sprocket off you'll see how all that fits together. Very easy fix, but as always... IF you get stuck post a note and we'll get you taken care of.
Quote from: kawman
:o   Excellent.  Thanks for the advice.  I will replace the O-ring shortly.  Now how about the sprocket shaft seal.  Obviously, it is leaking because of the oil level increase but is it faulty?  Can this seal be changed without splitting the case?  Thanks! :?:

kawman

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2003, 11:27:34 AM »
Can that seal for the sprocket shaft be changed without splitting the case?

Rick

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2003, 03:02:24 AM »
Yes.  Pull the counter shaft sprocket, pull out the steel spacer, and reach in with a dental tool to snag the o-ring.  Will take you about 20 minutes, tops.

Rick

kawman

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2003, 02:29:34 PM »
I pulled the side panel off and I see that the seal itself looks rough.  I have attempted to pull the shaft to the inside but can't get it to budge.  Should it be this tight?  Also, I am seeing a black gasket paste around the main bearing on this side.  Is this good, bad, or what.  Thanks for your help.

kawman

Thanks for the help!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2003, 03:27:24 PM »
I figured it out.  I pulled the water pump bearings off the shaft because one was rough rolling.  Anyone know how much Kaw charges for these or if there available from someone else?  The sprocket shaft should be a problem...Thanks! :lol: