Author Topic: Non Starting Bike  (Read 1633 times)

Offline c-152

Non Starting Bike
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:24:06 AM »
I have a problem - I bought a 92 kx500 this last winter.  I tore it down and rebuilt it.  It ran great after putting it back together and started almost the first kick even when cold.  Then two weeks ago I took it out to go riding and it was a real pain to start.  I had to bump start it to get it going.  Once the engine warmed up, it started running fine and started first kick the coupe of times I stalled it on a hill.  About an hour and a half into the ride, in a real tight section, the thing just stalled, it didn't lock up, it just stalled. Fuel was on and everything look fine so I kicked it again and it fired up went about 20 feet and it died again.  After that it would not refire.  I kicked for a while but nothing.  I even tried to bump start it several times and still nothing.  When I got it back to my truck, I pulled the plug and found I had no spark even with a new plug.  When I got home I noticed that the coil looked burned through so I replaced it and was able to see a good spark but the bike still will not start.  I have been trolling around the sight and it sounds like I shound change plugs to a BR8EIX and should look into the timing.  The problem is tht it has a steahly flywheel weight on and I have no tools to remove it yet.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I want to start racing soon
Brian
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline alan

• Administrator
Re: Non Starting Bike
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 05:03:22 AM »
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

Offline c-152

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 04:01:20 AM »
Thanks - I got a new plug and followed the starting procedure from your link and she fired.  I am not sure what rocking in gear does for helping start the bike other than lubing the gears but If it keeps starting this nice, I will keep doing it
?There are only three sports: mountain climbing, bull fighting, and motor racing. All the rest are merely games.?
? Ernest Hemingway

"I want to leave this world the same way I came into it: Screaming and covered in blood."

Offline alan

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 11:36:07 AM »
I not sure about the rocking bit either, but it is sort of like leaning it over, at least you know where the fuel is! I think that is at least half of starting the beast, If you know that the fuel is right where it belongs you won't be tempted to keep trying something different that will cause to flood out. :-D :-D
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F