Author Topic: Air Filters/Wet Conditions  (Read 1616 times)

Offline hughes

• Dirt Hammers
Air Filters/Wet Conditions
« on: January 24, 2006, 01:08:59 AM »
Just wondering what everybody does to prepare their bike's air filter/air box for a wet day or extra muddy conditions. After rides I have found alot of mud in the air box. I know on wet days some water and dirt is getting in there but what have ya'll done to soak up the water in the box while you ride. I have heard of some guy's running with paper towels in the air box to soak up the water instead of it going into the filter. Is a oiled filter good enough to keep water from getting in the engine? Any idea's :?:
Open Class 2-Stroke Kawasaki KX500
Yamaha 2005 YZ250
Richard Hughes
Dirt Hammers - Online Off-Road Journal
hughes@dirthammers.com
http://www.dirthammers.com

hoopty

RE: Air Filters/Wet Conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2006, 01:18:38 AM »
I close the shutters on the sides of the airbox. Of course we don't get much along the lines of frog strangler down pours out here in the AZ desert.

Offline KXcam22

RE: Air Filters/Wet Conditions
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2006, 02:22:38 AM »
Hughes,
   I run a good oiled foam filter. On every bike I always ductape the airbox gaps to cover gaps between the rear fender and frame tubes. Makes quite a difference in the amount of water that can get in.  This may be a holdover from the old days when you HAD to do it to keep your bike alive - but it still works.  With the 250 rear fender there were also some extra gaps at the seat edge. I filled these with chunks closed cell foam.  We get lots of nice mud in the spring and I have no problems with getting mud into the airbox. Any water in the box goes out the drain in the bottom. I cross a few seat high creeks with no issues (other than getting wet). Hope this helps. Cam.