Author Topic: KX100, great mid-size machine !!!  (Read 4958 times)

johnnymotocros

KX100, great mid-size machine !!!
« on: May 03, 2004, 10:54:33 AM »
Yersterday my son and me ran an Enduro race, together for the first time, his first. Him on his KX100, me on my KLX250. What a fun and dirty day !!!  I waited for this day for 14 years since my older son was born. He had a Blast, I had a Blast !!!   But I`m so surprised at the capabilities of his KX100, this bike performed PERFECTLY. No glitches, just plain fun dirt digging and climbing. I joined this site as I`m learning to respect Kawasakis very quickly. My younger son ( 8 ) has a KX60 also.
I was stopped a few times to ask me what kind of bike mine was, because it climbs hills so easily and effortless, but my son beats me most of the time.
I have a KX250F on my sight now, I feel like a kid again when used to dream all day about a new toy.
I wish more Dads were able to feel what I feel today from yesterdays experience with my older son, and the rides with my two sons every weekend. We are very close, we ride together, we are friends too.
JT

mikesmith

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 07:32:12 PM »
There used to be an old Yamaha ad in the '70s that showed a Dad on a YZ400 and the son on a YZ80 parked side by side talking by the track.Id look at that ad and wish it was my Dad and me,but he never was into riding.I bought a RM 125 in the 9th grade and he'd ride it a little but never got his own bike and we never were that close.I think if things had gone like I dreamed we would have had a better relationship.So as much as it means to you to share that time with your kids riding,it probally means the world to them!

johnnymotocros

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2004, 03:23:23 AM »
mikesmith, Thanks a lot for your kind words.
Don`t feel bad, we are in the same boat childhoodwise, my dad used to ride street bikes when I got the "Fiebre" ( fever ) as we call it. But the minute he realized I was "in love with bikes", he sold his Honda CB-750 and never got back to bikes. On top of that, he forbid me from getting one, so I had to get my own and "hide" it on a friends house for ever. It was a Suzuki KE-100, I was like 12. I believe he tried to keep me away from danger, which I respect and appreciate, but, today our relationship is not the best in the world either. I learned that lesson, and today I go along my sons hobbies so I can help them and be there to teach them ( try ) and to protect them too.
A good friend of mine ( My Compadre ), has a theory, "Once you let go an arrow from the bow, its path is hard to be changed, and if you can, it will be just a little bit. Thats what a son/daugther are like after they are born".
Regards,  Johnny

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2004, 04:24:01 AM »
Way to go! I don't have kids, but a friend of mine has a son (5 years old) and I purchased him a little z50 to start on and we go riding often, I tell you, it's a great thing to do as a family! My dad purchased me a z50 at a very young age, remember getting it, but not my age (4 i think), and he and I rode from then til now. And we are close, and I think it is cause we did stuff together and enjoyed it.

Mtnarcher1

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2004, 06:09:01 AM »
My middle son has a KX100 also, and I agree about how well it performs. I could quote mikesmith's post for my growing up experience. I now have 3 sons of my own and a 36' Toy Hauler. We camp and ride all summer long in the Colorado mountains. Mom has a quad and us 4 kids have bikes. Nothing but a great way to enjoy the family and I want the kids experience growing up to be the opposite of mine. Riding and camping, in my opinion, is a great way for one to get close to the kids and family in general. :D

rradar

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 06:12:23 AM »
As for dads are concerned...now that I'm 42 and still childless (probably because I'm still a child) I reflect on how my dad got me into riding. He streaked a formal Military Ball (Dining Out they call it) back in the early 70's on a Yamaha 180 two stroke twin (like a 1969 trail/street or something like that). He was so stoked and proud at the time that he took all 3 of us son's to the sight of the action the next day where the crew was still cleaning up the mess. Pop's pointed out the tire marks in the carpet and the clean up staff unknowingly started describing the astounding events of the night before with glowing admiration for the "Crazy naked man on the dirtbike..." Right then I remember thinking how cool my dad was and that I had to have a bike immediately! Though this is an extreme example, Mom, dad and us four boys always rode toghether somehow, somway, on some medium and we remain very tight to this day. I can only hope to share the same with my family someday. www.rickkadar.com

Offline Johnniespeed

• The Thrill of Speed overcomes the fear of Death.
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2005, 11:09:12 AM »
Streaking on a dirtbike?   Your dad may be an exteme example of an original rebel.  I admire his courage and creativity.  My dad used to let me ride on the back of his Electra Glide back in the sixties. He always wanted a Harley but sold it to pay for his childrens education. He should have kept it, but then again, he was way more mature , than I will ever be. At least he got me my first Cushman, my first Lambretta and my first Honda. I guess my dad was pretty cool after all.
Spring is here and the Mighty 500 wants to ride.
 2004 KX500 E16
 Michigan has the best groomed and mapped trail system, check out the Cycle Conservation Club of Michigan trail maps.