Author Topic: Toasted engine?  (Read 3477 times)

Hogwylde

Toasted engine?
« on: July 01, 2005, 05:04:00 AM »
I think I toasted my engine.  I was doing pretty good in a race last month when all the sudden, I notice I'm loosing power and this thing is getting HOT!!  I pull over to check and see if I've broken a radiator hose or something.  Nope, I get a geyser of hot water out of the radiator cap.  All I can think of is a dirty carb problem.  All I've had time to do since then is pull the carb and clean it and check to see that the impeller on the H2O pump didn't come off or some other pump problem.  

I managed to get it started yesterday after putting the cleaned carb on and fresh coolant in it.  Man, it sounded SICK!  Kinda made a moaning sound and wouldn't rev.....and it STILL got really hot in only the minute I was able to keep it running.  It feels like it's got good compression.

I've not had time to get into the engine to start checking things but I was wondering if I might be looking for a melted down topend, missing some reed pedals, or looking for a power valve stuck in the open position, or should I be looking for some OTHER problem?

I pretty much figure I'm done racing for this season, but if anyone thinks this might be a cheap and simple fix, I'm all ears.

Offline alan

• Administrator
Toasted engine?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2005, 06:27:48 AM »
I always go to the plug first! If you have had some kind of melt down the plug will generally tell the story!

Alan
Sand - Dirt - Dunes = Fun
       04- 700V - 01- KX500
        08 TeryX 2012 KX450F

hoopty

Toasted engine?
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2005, 07:47:52 AM »
Sounds like you sucked a petal off one of the reeds.

Hogwylde

Toasted engine?
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 06:35:02 AM »
Plug was the first thing I checked.  It had a little build up of some black carbon, but no signs of pre-ignition or detonation or melted bits of aluminum attached.  Guess that's a good sign.  The plug was replaced before I attemped to re-start the other day.  

Thanks for the input....I'll pull the reed cage and check it tonight!

Hogwylde

Toasted engine?
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 01:36:57 PM »
Just a follow up to this post.  Now that the racing season is over....I've finally had some time to figure out what's wrong.  Long story short.......shearing the woodruff key lets the flywheel move out of position and REALLY screws up the timing.  Now that it's fixed, she's just as mean and nasty as always.  Can't wait till next year to get racing again!!

Torch654

Toasted engine?
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 01:49:14 PM »
Glad it was a simple fix for ya.

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
Toasted engine?
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2005, 12:05:35 AM »
Quote from: Hogwylde
Plug was the first thing I checked.  It had a little build up of some black carbon, but no signs of pre-ignition or detonation or melted bits of aluminum attached.  Guess that's a good sign.  The plug was replaced before I attemped to re-start the other day.  

Thanks for the input....I'll pull the reed cage and check it tonight!

Wow, what a fortunate fix! The woodruff key seems to be an issue. Glad it is fixed.

Offline KXcam22

Toasted engine?
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2005, 02:22:46 AM »
Hogwylde,
  That's great news!  If you can, pull the plug and peek at the piston crown or take off the pipe and feel it.  I've had some bikes where the sheared key advances the timing and burns a hole in the piston top.  Worth a look. Cam.

Offline doordie

• Global Moderator
  • Do or Die.....
Toasted engine?
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 05:23:56 AM »
Hogwylde,

Check your left crankbearing too. :wink:
I think your flywheel and cranktap need some "lapping" with carborundum to make a good fit.

//doordie
Iceroad champion 2006,still 2007,even 2008 without a single race!

Hogwylde

Toasted engine?
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2005, 01:52:52 PM »
I'm thinking that that Stealy flywheel weight that I put on this spring wasn't tightened down properly.  It's now running without the weight and I'm SURE that it's on tight now!