Author Topic: Update on Iridium  (Read 3092 times)

Rick

Update on Iridium
« on: April 24, 2003, 09:22:11 AM »
About a month ago, I posted a little note about the wonders of the Iridium spark plug.  While the plug provided a noticable change in power, after using the plugs for trail riding and racing for the last month, I have found that the Iridium plug just does not have the same staying power of the Platinum BR8EVX.  As a result, I have switched back to the BR8EVX plug, and traded out all of the new Iridium plugs in the race van for the BR8 plug.

The final straw was on a little 40 mile ride Saturday morning.  The big 50 just would not run strong, and I was having trouble starting.  Since I had a fresh filter, I knew this could not be the problem, so finally just pulled the Iridium plug and put in a used BR8EVX.  The 50 barked to life, and once again started half way through the kick stroke.  Upon analysis, the Iridium plug was a light tan color, and was not wet with fuel, nor did it appear fouled.  Since this was the second Iridium in just a few weeks, and given my prior experience with the longevity of the BR8EVX, I have opted to switch back.

Because that I spoke so highly of the Iridium plug in our initial testing, I wanted to send an update to ensure no one was led down the wrong path.  I think the retail on both plugs is around $10-$12, so I don't want to see folks waste money on something that may not work very well for them.  :wink:

Rick

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
Update on Iridium
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2003, 01:19:00 AM »
About a month ago, I posted a little note about the wonders of the Iridium spark plug. While the plug provided a noticable change in power........

I have a good pal that has done dyno testing with iridium plugs vs standard ones and has seen absolutely no difference in power.  Remember, the seat of the pants is the worlds worst dyno.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane