Author Topic: Front fork seal quick fix?  (Read 7129 times)

Offline 1980mcneil

Front fork seal quick fix?
« on: May 23, 2017, 10:54:35 AM »
So my front left fork seal started leaking pretty badly. I'm going to pick up a new fork seal kit but I won't get it by this weekend. I'm buying the fork seal kit anyways, but I'm hoping that I just got a little bit of dirt in the seal because my Forks had a little bit of dry dirt on them before I went riding last time. I've read online that you can sometimes slide a very thin feeler gauge or camera film around the fork and up past the seal and dislodge any dirt from it. Some people said it fixed it completely, some said slowed the leak significantly and some said it didn't work at all. I'm willing to give this a try. Does anybody have any advice for me? This will be the first time I'm diving into any dirt bike Forks. There's a black cover that looks like it's protecting the seal behind it that I think I need to pop down or remove first. Does that just pop off and slide down with a screwdriver? Or do I have to start getting into the fork to remove that part?

Any other tips or step by step process would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
2004 kx500
Accu-products decompression Valve
Powerdynamo heavy flywheel ignition
Pro-Circuit Platinum II / FMF PowerCore 2
Moose racing Reed spacer
Baja design duel sport kit
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline mikectanker

Re: Front fork seal quick fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 01:35:30 PM »
I 've done the same with a business card. Same concept and you still need a little luck.

Offline FL_Sharpshooter

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 12:41:58 PM »
Risk racing makes a fork seal cleaner for pretty cheap. I've used mine several times, it usually works pretty dang good.

Offline umberto

• Administrator
  • First Ride 02-02-19
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 12:46:29 PM »
Risk racing makes a fork seal cleaner for pretty cheap. I've used mine several times, it usually works pretty dang good.

I like mine as well.
Perhaps I have a dirt bike addiction?

03 KX 250/88 KX 525/2017 KX250F - Goliath
17 KX250F/04 KX250
04 KX 250 - Lunchbox's Bike
05 KX 125/144

Offline Heniz

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2017, 12:45:41 AM »
Thanks for the info guys ive done my fork seals twice now within 15hours and all that was wrong with them was some grit built up behind the seals.

I mainly ride sand tracks in winter so this tool should be really handy for me.  :mrgreen:
Moto is life

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 01:12:10 PM »
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. How do you pull the dust cover down? I didn't want to just pop it down with a screwdriver in case I broke it. Is there a best way to do this?
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline FL_Sharpshooter

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »
Thank you. That's exactly what I was looking for. How do you pull the dust cover down? I didn't want to just pop it down with a screwdriver in case I broke it. Is there a best way to do this?
You can probably do it with your fingernails too. If you're careful, it shouldn't be a problem using a screwdriver, I've done it several times.

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 08:35:12 AM »
So my seals drained pretty much completely. I got some 5 weight oil and I ordered the Moose Racing Fork oil injector. I was hoping I could just fill these up while they're on the bike and get them to a level to where I can write on them and see if they leak again.
I could look this up in service manual but if anybody would like to give me a quick rundown of the process I would appreciate it. Then somebody else can find the information with the search function
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 01:35:38 PM »
I'm hoping somebody can chime in on this and give me a hand. I've looked in the service manual and there's in-depth instructions on how to pull the strut apart and do a full service. I really don't have the time to do that before my ride. Is there any way to add oil without fully disassembling the strep? Can I unscrew one of the little plugs on top and add oil? I'm not too worried about oil level right now, and I've heard that how full the oil is only really affects the last part of the shock and I never come close to bottoming out on the trails I ride. I just don't want to ruin this shock by running out of oil and gouging the piston. Could somebody please help me out and let me know if I can add oil to the top to get me through my next ride?  And since I believe the shock is essentially drained all the oil, about how much would I be adding? If this simply isn't possible and I need to take the whole shock apart, please let me know
I really haven't been able to find an answer this question online or through YouTube. For the most part everybody seems to just tear down their entire shock and replace the seals. I don't have the seals or the time to do that.
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline 1980mcneil

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 09:33:24 AM »
Does a 2004 kx500 use a spacer on the top of the fork? When I go to Partzilla and try to find a new spacer I don't see it listed. When I look in my service manual it shows a spacer but sometimes I get confused on whether it's for an older model or not. Whoever on my bike before me apparently lost the stock spacers if it came with them because it's been replaced with two pieces of copper pipe. Does anybody know the part number for the spacer or whether weather the 2004 kx500 gets a spacer. Looks like it just adds a preload.
2004 kx500
Moose racing Reed spacer
Plated.
Rekluse

Offline jetted06

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 02:15:35 PM »

That looks a good one to try.