Author Topic: 01 KX250???  (Read 8234 times)

Offline chipped tooth

01 KX250???
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »
Been a while since I've been on here!

Well I just added to the stable a low hour 01 KX250

Top end has never been apart, let alone anything else.
Only changes are PC pipe and silencer and PC graphics and seat cover.

Other than a good carb cleaning (pilot is gumed up) what should I look for other than the obvious?

Any issues, trouble areas?

Bike hasn't ran in 10 years, a little 100 octane premix and 4 kicks on the choke and she was alive!

Thanks in advance!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: 01 KX250???
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 11:58:53 AM »
whenever I myself buys a used bike...it gets torn completely down and gone through thoroughly...all new bearings/bushings in the swingarm/suspension, new steering/race bearings....
the motor will get a complete rebuild of bearings/seals...tranny will get new gears if needed...fresh top-end...clutch if needed.

granted you may not want to, or need to do all this....but I like to make things as new as possible...which in return, makes it that much more reliable of a bike.

post some pics!
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:40:13 PM »
I would have posted pics but phone doesn't like taking pictures anymore... Time for a new phone!

I'll probably 're grease all the chassis bearings and a complete once over but as far as the engine I'm pretty sure it's fine

Transmission oil looks almost new and I'm positive the drain plug hasn't been touched

I'm the second owner and the fellow who bought it new I think just like saying he had a bike instead of actually riding it! lol

Just wondering if the 01 had any issues/problems I should look for?

I plan on spending as much time on this one as I have my 93!

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 02:48:42 PM »
the front brakes on the '00 were garbage...I'm not sure if they were updated in '01.
I put a 2012 CRF front master and s.s. brake line on mine, and it's unbelievably "touchy" now. 

they came jetted fairly rich stock...I had to lean mine out a decent amount, from the pilot, needle, and main.

keep some di-electric grease on the plug connections.

here's a thread I did on my '00 a couple years ago...
http://www.kxriders.com/forums/index.php/topic,10821.0.html
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 03:02:28 PM »
Thanks for the tips!

The front brake is spongy compared to my 93

Back in 92 my 92 KX125 had a light switch front brake.... Made for some interesting motos at the time!

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 11:51:38 AM »
After some maintenance I've had a chance to put some time on her!

Everything seems fine except I wish it had a bit more top end.... Or carry the mid out further.

Anyone know what I might need to do for more top end?

It has a PC platinum pipe and silencer, packing is new.
Other than that it's all stock.

Bore carb?
Reed spacer?
Different pipe?
Timing adjustments?

I'd soon not have to change the porting till maybe winter.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 12:02:32 PM »
yeah stock, these things weren't that great on top-end/top speed...you could have it ported/case matched for top-end, and have the head re-worked...but...you'll lose some bottom-end.

I threw on a complete PC exhaust...gently massaged the cylinder, by just smoothing out the casting flaws/rough edges...I'm running a Wossner piston/rod...and found running my gearing at 12/47 gave the best top end over run. I also played with the jetting for quite some time, leaning it out slowly, and I'm running 25% pump fuel and 75% C12 at 40:1.

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »
That's what I've read in all the tests I could find.

My jetting so far is 48 pilot, 1.5 turns out on the air screw, 55 main, needle clip second groove from top on 100 octane @ 32:1 with PC pipe and silencer

78° outside

Gearing is stock still

I'll try different sprockets but probably end up porting it this winter

I was hoping there might be a different pipe option that would be a quick fix

Offline ozrider

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 04:03:20 PM »
not sure at what elevation you ride at but below is my jetting  for sea level to 1000ft

2000 kx250
pilot : 45
needle : suzuki rm250 NECW 2nd clip
main : 158

i mix at 40-42:1 castrol full synthetic

fmf gnarly pipe

standard gears and bike is torquey down low

this jetting is absolute night and day compared to the standard s**t that was in there

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 05:03:29 PM »
I'm around 800-1300 elevation.

And yes, stock jetting was FAT!!!

I was searching around and found a post where the PC pipe was the best for top end...

I also sniffed around Eric Gore notes, sounds like they made the transfer ports small on the L series compared to my 93...

Reed spacers claim torque but in my automotive drag racing theory a spacer usually adds plenum volume and adds a little rpm on certain applications

I guess I'll have to try it and see

Also my silencer is the PC spark arrester.... Can't imagine that's helping top end

I believe 04-05 pipe fits also, post on thumper talk I believe
Wish I had a complete stock system to try on mine...

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:50:11 AM »
If you look at team green site they used to have modified port maps for most of there 2 strokes but could of deleted it all by now , if you cant find it drop me a line and i see if i can send it to you it will help mid to top end power , plus a few other things they used to do.i kept all the paper record of this sought of stuff , dont trust computers to much.

Offline chipped tooth

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2016, 05:40:15 PM »
That would be great!

Thank you!