Author Topic: No engine number. Any way to register it?  (Read 3383 times)

Offline edmyles

No engine number. Any way to register it?
« on: April 19, 2016, 02:02:07 PM »
I recently finished rebuilding a 1994 kx500 that was a Craigslist purchase. Went to register it at the DMV and found out it doesn't have a engine number on the top by the kick start lever.  I have been scouring old posts online for info.  Not sure if there is a way to tell the original number, it is not on the title. Chp said they may have to confiscate the motor, even though I just finished rebuilding it with a new Cylinder and Pistons.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline manco

Re: No engine number. Any way to register it?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 06:24:16 AM »
What state do you live in? I am just curious. Confiscating an engine over this is crazy police state nutty. What are the cops gonna do with a numberlesss motor besides scrap it? What proof do they have that you don't own the engine? Do replacement cases even have numbers? First thing I would do is call a lawyer and get legal advice on telling the cops to back off with the confiscation talk. Then call a Kawi dealer and see if they can find an engine number and also whether or not replacement cases have numbers. Maybe a dealer can stamp a number? Car dealers can do all sorts of stuff maybe moto dealers can too.
"Never contend with a man who has nothing to lose.”
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 06:25:39 AM »
Is there a VIN on the frame at least?
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline manco

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 07:09:13 AM »
One other thing too is I have never heard of a situation where a cop said they "may" have to confiscate something, let it go and anything came of it. The law is generally the law. If something can be confiscated it happens right there and then. Every bad DMV/Cop motorcycle story I have heard ends with the bike/project coming out of the back of the truck right there and then. Always the stories involved "known to be stolen" items that were immediately confiscated. Not items that "might" be stolen and "may" need confiscation.
― Baltasar Gracián

Offline dave916

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 07:10:22 AM »
New cases do NOT have numbers

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2016, 08:51:12 AM »
That is correct, the new factory cases do not have numbers.
If numbers had been filed away you can tell.
So I wouldn't worry.
If the cops want to make a issue of it I can show them that new factory cases have no numbers.
They can call me at 541-514-1082.
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline edmyles

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 12:21:03 PM »
Appreciate the help. I tried to use hcl to see if the numbers have been ground off.  Back to the Chp to get this figured out. I'm in California BTW