Author Topic: K5 Magneto Failure  (Read 2342 times)

Offline KTX

K5 Magneto Failure
« on: April 02, 2016, 09:23:36 AM »
Has anyone here ever experienced a K5 magneto failure on a known good running motor?  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:28:02 AM by KTX »

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: X5 Magneto Failure
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:27:52 AM »
not on a K5, I myself haven't...
can you give a little more detail on what happened, and how/when it happened?.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline KTX

Re: K5 Magneto Failure
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2016, 09:35:02 AM »
Subject Bike is my 07 KTM chassis/99 K5.  

After much work by others/smarter people with a timing light on the bike and it being rotated with a drill motor the timing would jump +/- several degrees randomly.  Stator checked out as well as CDI, coil wiring, plug.  Turns out a swapped out new magneto fixed it.  Again,  I had a ton of help from some very great people to get me going.

The strange thing is that the bike ran fine before this issue.  I understand that magneto rarely fail but this one sure did.  It runs now and is a lot of fun again.

The up side was I learned alot from several good guys thru this process.  The failed part is actually being cross sectioned to look at the internals.  I will share any data I receive.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 09:52:18 AM by KTX »