Author Topic: New guy to the k5  (Read 2328 times)

Offline dANBOT

New guy to the k5
« on: May 30, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »
Hey everyone, I've been lurkin' for a bit. Figured I should say hello and tell you why I'm here!
I recently picked up a pile of parts that consisted of most of a 1987 kx500, and half of a 1985... I plan to build the 87 to running condition this season, and then somewhat restore it over the winter.

The motors were both in a million pieces, lots of spare parts in the plastic bin and a few missing ones. Took me a few weeks to separate the 85 and 87 parts, but it's done and everything is clean and ready. To build the 87 motor I need a inner clutch hub, bearings, seals, gaskets, piston kit, and a few odds and ends.The chassis needs a subframe, plastic, swingarm / linkage hardware and some smaller stuff. Everything I need seems to be available on ebay... I just have to organize the list so I get multiple items from sellers to shave shipping costs. Should be a fun project bike, can't wait to twist a 500 throttle again!

My other bike is an 07 CR250 that is slowly getting converted to a woods / singletrack machine. Lots of bolt-ons, stock motor. Anyways, good to find a place for the kx500's still kickin'. I'll update my progress for anyone interested.

danbot

Offline sniper1

Re: New guy to the k5
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 04:07:01 PM »
       Welcome and it looks like you have a good start there, are you doing all the work yourself? and if you are hats off to you guys that can do the extensive type work that costs a fortune to have someone else do.
Just an old guy that enjoys going fast, I was in the army for 6 years and bought my first K5 when I returned from basic training. I raced a yz60 from age 6 to 8  a kx80 from 8 to 12  a kx125 from 12-17 intermediate class on k5 which I've owned 3.

Offline Polar-Bus

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 09:30:05 PM »
Hey everyone, I've been lurkin' for a bit. Figured I should say hello and tell you why I'm here!
I recently picked up a pile of parts that consisted of most of a 1987 kx500, and half of a 1985... I plan to build the 87 to running condition this season, and then somewhat restore it over the winter.
The motors were both in a million pieces, lots of spare parts in the plastic bin and a few missing ones. Took me a few weeks to separate the 85 and 87 parts, but it's done and everything is clean and ready. To build the 87 motor I need a inner clutch hub, bearings, seals, gaskets, piston kit, and a few odds and ends.The chassis needs a subframe, plastic, swingarm / linkage hardware and some smaller stuff. Everything I need seems to be available on ebay... I just have to organize the list so I get multiple items from sellers to shave shipping costs. Should be a fun project bike, can't wait to twist a 500 throttle again!

My other bike is an 07 CR250 that is slowly getting converted to a woods / singletrack machine. Lots of bolt-ons, stock motor. Anyways, good to find a place for the kx500's still kickin'. I'll update my progress for anyone interested.

danbot

Welcome to our forum ! First off I can tell you you are headed for a bit of a difficult challenge if you truly plan a "restoration" of an '87. Reason being is the '87's were on what I call the "B" chassis. Kawi only made this chassis for one year, and the following year in '88 Kawi made substantial changes to the chassis, and the current K5 all the way up to '04 has basically been unchanged. So finding parts is going to be difficult, I may be wrong, but you are probably going to realize most of the '87 parts will be NLA from kawasaki. Ebay will be your best bet. You might even find you can update some chassis components from the '88 and retrofit into your '87 chassis. Good luck, and if you have questions, we are here to try and help. Lot's of veteran, expert K5 owners here to help.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2011, 01:06:44 AM by Polar-Bus »
01' KX500
'84 GPz1100
'87 GSX-R  750
'06 HD Fatboy
'73 Kawi H1
'03 CRG KX500 Shifter kart

Offline Friar-Tuck

• \o/ Live Free or Die
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:02:15 AM »
Welcome Dan,
  Thanks for signing up and jumping in.   You would be surprised how many of us have brought home our new bike in several boxes, tubs, buckets and bags  :-D   
   Like Polar stated, the '87 may bring a few more challenges to the table, but nothing perseverance, patience and a few sheckles can't overcome.   Fitting parts from other year bikes may also be an option. (Key word there is "Fitting"  :wink:...)
       Sandblaster is a member here who has been able to help guys with "Pre-Loved" parts and is a heck of a nice guy to boot.   
    If you haven't already got a service manual you might consider that used ones pop up on e-bay and a new Clymer is around  $24.00    Money well spent I assure you!
  Take Care and Good Luck!
    Tuck\o/ 

"The Truth Has No Agenda"

Offline BacK.IN.THE.DaY

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 01:43:15 AM »
Hi i am also restoring a 1987 kx500 good luck with your project

This site is a gold mine for help
and anything kx500 related with relay helpful members that know there stuff.

And ebay is a good start for 87 parts :wink:

Good luck

Offline dANBOT

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 02:04:13 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes, and pointers guys!
I enjoy wrenching on bikes, so this will be a fun project one way or the other. I wont be doing a full restoration, just want to get the bike in good mechanical condition, and a little prettier.