Author Topic: Cylinder head fitment  (Read 4430 times)

Offline sawfly

Cylinder head fitment
« on: January 16, 2016, 01:29:05 PM »
Just picked up a KX500(1989) and the engine mount on the head is broken off. I've been told that '83-'04 are the same but during research I found the part numbers are different.
Will the other years fit or do i need to look for one '89-'04?
Can i weld it back together and re-drill/tap with no significant issues besides warping?

This is my first KX500 so any help is appreciated.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

• James Stewart DID NOT invent the scrub!!..JoJo
Re: Cylinder head fitment
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 09:58:34 PM »
I've seen heads welded before, and you could have yours welded and it would probably be ok...
I myself, would find another head, and save the other one as a spare...only because, that's just me.
if you decide to get another head, you'll need an '89-'04.
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 06:25:45 AM »
Can you post a photo of the broken part?

Offline sawfly

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 08:28:06 AM »

Offline dave916

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:14:44 AM »

Thats a 86-88 head
You need to know the exact year as there are difference on those years {pictures}

Offline Larry Wiechman

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:15:38 AM »
 That's an easy repair; you're lucky it didn't break into the water jacket.
 If you want to go with a weld repair, let me know.

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 09:20:47 AM »
looks like it was broken for a short time...contact points look a bit shiney...good vibrations there. :lol:
Excuse me, ma'am...but you've got extremely nice legs!!!...what time do they open???                                                                                                               https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8tCgN3aryQ

Offline Foxx4Beaver

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »
once you get it fixed, I myself would go pay a visit to whoever you bought that from....and shred his front lawn with 2nd gear holeshots...for lying about the year. :lol:
but again, that's just me....I don't encourage you, or anyone else to do that.

Offline sawfly

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 10:11:58 AM »
Did some more looking around and verified both the VIN and engine ID #'s to make sure it was all the same. it's an '86.
Is there anything i should pay special attention to on this bike while I'm working on it?
I'm actually kind of glad it's not an '89. besides, it's a complete running bike(that i got for a steal) and it's all in pretty good shape(minus the head and rear fenders)