Author Topic: 250 carb change  (Read 12242 times)

Offline KXDINO

Re: 250 carb change
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2013, 05:59:34 PM »
Why because Kawasaki cant read what the market doing ? look it taken them about 12 years to bring out a new kx85 ,and it full of the old bike anyway.Than they drop the kx 125/250 as well ,I know plenty of people buying 2 strokes,but getting rid of the k5 is just plain dumb,with a bit more r and d these models would still sell ,instead they try to ram the fat f models down people throats ,I see it at the dealers all the time.I agree a new kdx200 or 300 would be nice but until we see a big swing in 2 stroke sales forget it ,and that probably wont happen as they never make enough ,look at the kx85 14 we got 1 in the local kawi dealer and that's all they could get but they got 15 klx110 in the same shop,10 klx140 as well.Oh I forgot a dozen of each of 250/450 fat bikes,do I see a conspiracy here or is it a big 4 thing?

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2013, 11:03:13 PM »
 Go to a Enduro or Hare Scarmble race. The two strokes are alive, but there KTM or Husky. 83%  of one series I race is KTM. Now I am sure these numbers are minor compared to MX. But KTM is making millions on a purpose built two stroke off road bike. I gotta give them credit, they are pricey but sell a ton of them. Husky was really starting to get big when....yep, they were bought. So I guess the real smart ones here are KTM. I have been getting more and more request for 200 hybrids lately simply because people don't want a $8000 pumpkin, or a 4 stroke or a play bike. That's the only real options out there. MX is the big market and what they read in the magazines sells bikes.

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2013, 12:10:43 AM »
 Also I scored a 36mm carb. Talked with the tech at local shop who is a die hard two stroke guy also. He thinks it will work so we will try this just to satisfy both of our minds. He thought my 200 hybrid was so cool. Still looking for a clean kdx 250 to put into a newer 250 chassis, that's gotta be the coolest intermediate woods bike. Hoping to put one together this year.

Offline treedodgingfool

• Dirtbike Dork
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2013, 03:40:44 AM »
A big part of why the Kaw & Suz got out of importing their full-size 2str's has to do with several issues, the main one being the economy tanking (Suzuki dirtbike sales prior to the Recession/Depression was over 7% of all Suzuki sales in North America (including cars!), now it's less then 3%).  With shrinking expendable income with US consumers, less riding areas especially trail-wise, EPA stricter requirements on off-road only bikes being equipped with head/tail-lights being approved for sale state-side (only a small percentage of total volume per manufacture imported allowed state-side), California CARB green/red sticker regulations (where the Big 4 headquarters their US operations) and their affect on product imports to the rest of the country, the shift in MX to 4str product and the every niche possible/ small market share of bikes filled by KTM altered the current offerings from the Big 4.  At the sametime, the continued poor economy, inflation & poor exchange rates, the stagnating wages has pushed back the 4str on-slaught and have some manufactures rethinking full-size 2str's again.  Truth be told, most people can't commit or rationalize to purchasing a $8-10k racebike/recreation bike when just 6-7 years ago pricing ran closer to $5-6k.  I know I have yet to spend over $5k on a new racebike (purchased all of mine new except the 500 for the '04 KX250 hybrid).  At the Big 4, it's really the "Bean Counters" who dictate product regardless of what the racing department or development want.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:43:47 AM by treedodgingfool »
Stay Healthy, Eat your Honey.

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2013, 09:46:13 AM »
 I couldn't agree more. I see some really cool Honda 2 strokes still offered in other countries. As for the EPA scare, not believing that one(except California) due to the number of KTM smokers. I would love to see some real progress made with new 2 strokes, other than MX bikes. And maybe........just maybe something to fill the gap between full blown racers and 250lb+ play bikes. Were not all 5'9" tall !!!!!!

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2013, 12:57:35 PM »
 Also what type of cowling/fixture are you putting the  Cree MR16 bulb into? I have been really thinking about this. The only place I know of to get one is online. Hard to see what it really looks like from just pics. i already have a small led taillight assembly

Offline treedodgingfool

• Dirtbike Dork
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2013, 01:55:24 AM »
I'm using Acrebis DHH headlight, UFO also makes a similiar model that'll accept MR16 bulbs too.  With LEDs, you can use the plugs provided since there won't be enough juice to melt the smaller gauge wiring they use (we made our own plugs with heavier gauge wire to support upto 50w incadenscent bulbs).  The cree MR16's can be found for relatively cheap on Amazon (around $12 including shipping).  Look for the 50w equal/ 9w LED flood.

Offline KXDINO

« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2013, 01:10:25 PM »
Sorry this is getting of the topic a bit ,some friends of mine bought 2 new yz250 14 2t ,they were seeing about the interest rate for a loan but ended paying cash ,they found that Yamaha charged 2x more interest for the 2t over the 250f bikes,another way to get people to buy the 4 strokes ,this was in  QLD .AUSTRALIA.Take more then that to stop the 2 stroke comeback.Plus the dealers were always trying to get them on the 4 bangers.Rodents.

Offline treedodgingfool

• Dirtbike Dork
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2013, 04:57:51 AM »
Usually the deals are on the 4str product because most of the manufacture sell every 2str they make. 

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2014, 02:47:00 PM »
Update......got a 36mm carb off a 01 125. Machinist called today the adapter ring to allow it to fit the larger 38mm boot is done !!!! Now if this -11 temp and 9" of snow will go away I can give a report

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2014, 08:43:36 AM »
Test ride #1 Stronger off bottom, but not alot. Seems to recover from super low rpm's better. Jetting is way off. I need a smaller pilot. Starts real easy without the choke and choke seems to make no difference. Main seems to be real close. Has quite a bit of snap still, almost more than I was hoping for. Will add more when jetting gets lined out

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2014, 03:11:55 PM »
Treedodgingfool, I picked up an acerbis dhh, it is the twin bulb design. are you running a different one or only one bulb? Got everything hard mounted after building some brackets, now just trying to decide if I want one 9w or two 3 or 5 watt bulbs. decided to hard mount it since I was building brackets to put the new 450 shrouds on my 03 !!

Offline hybridkdx

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 05:02:23 PM »
 Reviving an old thread. But it has been done. I finally got around to getting it done. Scored a carb off of a 125 I used for a hybrid project. Same carb body with a smaller casted throat. Had to change PJ from my 03 to get the correct plugs. Used intake from a 99 250 along with the reed cage as they are smaller for more low rpm velocity. Jetting went to a 145 main, 45 pilot. I love the low side gain. Seems to hit a little sooner but not quite as radical as with the 38mm. Still running the 04 spring. Slide and needle from the 36mm, didn't change it. Had the local shop do the jetting as the mechanic is a two stroke guru who loves kx 250's. I wanted his input from it so he was the first to ride it. He was very skeptical when I approached him with the idea. Honestly he thought the top end loss would be too much. If it lost any it is too hard to notice. Overall it wasn't a super big change. It is definitely piper down low, but not a kdx type motor. Very happy with the results.