Author Topic: Clutch or gear issue?  (Read 2246 times)

Offline 2002KX500

Clutch or gear issue?
« on: May 03, 2005, 05:49:39 AM »
Hello,

I have been having a few problems with my 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st shifting.

There are a lot of times when I miss a gear, shifting either up or down, while using the clutch or not using the clutch.

I don't think that there has been any clutch or gear work done to the bike.  A flywheel weight has been added.

It really sucks when I have to shift going up hills during an enduro.  Sometimes the mule can climb in 2nd and sometimes it takes a first.  But, there are times when I do need to shift..and if I miss, it's a momentum killer.

So...is this common with a stock set up?  Or is time for a rebuild and/or upgrade?

Also, I don't feel any slipping.  So could this just be a 1-N-2 gear spacing issue?

If it is time, what kit do you guys suggest?.  I think I should go steel because I am pretty rough on the bike (I think).
EBC or Tusk? Funny EBC is ~$110 and Tusk is ~$35...I wonder why the huge price difference??

Thanks,

Kevin

mikesmith

Clutch or gear issue?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 06:54:06 PM »
As far as plates go with steel,Tusk is name brand for Rocky Mtn. mc (probally not the quality of EBC,but then agin could be the Tusk is made by EBC?You pay alot for a name some times)What weight and brand trans fluid are you running?I think every one misses a gear once in awhile,but a consistant thing may be your shifter position,trans fluid type/weight,or bent/miss alighned shift fork,dont think your clutch is the problem,does it slip?

Offline 2002KX500

Clutch or gear issue?
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2005, 02:59:56 AM »
Mike,
Thanks for the reply.  I contacted a local Kawi shop and also determined that it isn't the clutch and could be the shift fork or position of the shift lever.
I use the 85W Honda trans oil (I have used it for almost 10 years with my other bike and no issues). I pretty much trust that oil.  

I haven't opened the manual yet...I wonder if you can see the shift fork by just removing the cover or do you have to split the cases ( I think that's what the tech said at the dealership)?  

The tech also said, as an option, to change the rear sprocket (reduce by 2 teeth) so I use more 2nd-3rd-4th gears and not really have to use first as much. Looks like I will just be playing with the position of the lever for this coming weekend.

Please let me know, what you know, about shift forks.
Thanks!

Kevin

Offline KXcam22

Clutch or gear issue?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 06:44:00 AM »
Being the owner of a vast collection of vintage (now) broken tranny parts, I have had far too many experiences with what you are encountering.  To me it sounds like your 1st/2nd, shifter fork may be bent a bit.  That will cause the doggs on the gears to only mesh correctly on a perfect shift, but slip out otherwise.  It is also possible that the small detent wheel (inside clutch side, near the kickstart gear) spring is weak, but this would most likely cause the same symptoms in all gears.  I would place my bet on the shifter fork.  The honda trans oil is good stuff. Hope this helps. Cam.