Author Topic: Buying used 88 kx500.What should I look for.  (Read 2440 times)

nixon186

Buying used 88 kx500.What should I look for.
« on: April 18, 2005, 05:13:35 AM »
I ran into a guy last night who has an 88 kx500 for sale. Heres the story. He bought it 2 days ago for $1000. The guy has done nothing but looped it. He wants to sell it for $800. I call him, tell him I'll give him $500, he agrees and I go to his house immediately. We walk into his garage and I see the bike... rear fender and subframe are gone, front fender gone and radiator shrouds cracked up. He tells me he's never ridden anything and that this bike is insane. He weighs 300pounds and claims he can't hold on. I ask him to fire it up. starts on the 3rd kick. revved it a few times(it was breaking up when it revved higher but I'm assuming this was only because the engine was cold). He then let it idle for like 10 seconds. I couldn't ride it because it was dark and the lane behind his house was pitch black.
           With that being said I told him I would ride it tonight and if it runs right I'll buy it. What I want to know from you guys is what should I look for before I buy this. I'm knowledgeable with 2 strokes but I'm curious what faults a 88 kx500 may have. Also, there is one more thing... I want this bike strictly for the drivetrain. I will be using it on a shifter kart. Another thing that gets me is this...This guy is 22 years old and weighs 300 pounds and he's spent the last 2 days getting fired off the back of this bike! Ivridden anything from a zx10 sportbike to a banshee to a kx 250 and I've never had anything that powerful to do that to me. Do you think hes just that inexperienced or is something screwed up on the bike? I'll probaly answer some of my own questions when I ride it tonight but I'm asking you guys now because this is a one time chance that I don't have time to think about. If I don't get it tonight I know someone else will. Thanks for any help,answers and opinions.

Offline gwcrim

• http://profiles.yahoo.com/gwcrim
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2005, 03:17:13 AM »
For $500 I'd buy it sight unseen.  It's worth that in parts.  

I'm 5'9" and 175 lbs.  I've only been tossed off the back of mine once.  The  rear tire bit unexpectedly during a wheelie.  Besides, I suck at wheelies.  Your seller is a no-ride mofo.
~Crim~
You raise the blade
You make the change
You rearrange me 'til I'm sane

Offline demographic

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2005, 06:13:23 AM »
Perhaps the bike doesn't like being underneath such a bloater and it making a bid for freedom :D

Bear in mind the heavier the rider the higher the centre of gravity is cos the bike is pretty light.

Offline GDubb

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2005, 04:33:14 PM »
Yeah... I've seen horses do the same thing.
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

mikesmith

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2005, 09:41:22 PM »
Popping out of 2nd or 3rd gear,coolant in trans fluid,bad vibration (its going to vibrate some,its a 500) or grabbing flywheel to check main bearings.If over reved a lot they can oval out the cases where the main bearings mount.

mikesmith

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2005, 09:42:19 PM »
Popping out of 2nd or 3rd gear,coolant in trans fluid,stripped drain plug,bad vibration (its going to vibrate some,its a 500) or grabbing flywheel to check main bearings.If over reved a lot they can oval out the cases where the main bearings mount.