Author Topic: Lightest Silencer  (Read 2858 times)

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Lightest Silencer
« on: May 08, 2005, 02:22:33 PM »
I just pulled off my stock silencer, and i couldnt believe how heavy it was!! Is there a big weight difference in any of the other silencers like fmf, or maybe cutting the stock one down an inch or so.  i ride in the woods, would that help? maybe while i'm at it, cut down the three inches and add a sparky, is that still gonna be heavy though?  I just need some direction to go here - seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline GDubb

Lightest Silencer
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2005, 05:08:29 PM »
How old is the silencer packing? I know they can get pretty heavy when its time to repack them because of all the oil and gunk that is absorbed by the packing.  I can still remember the first time I repacked a silencer... it was a night and day difference in how much it weighed before and after.  Shortening the silencer is supposed to give you more low-end grunt, but you'd probably have to shorten it quite a bit to get a significant weight savings, I think.  I dont have any experience with sparkys, so someone else will have to help you there.  Hope this helps.

-G
Rock it 'til the wheels fall off!

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Offline GDubb

Lightest Silencer
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2005, 05:11:21 PM »
Oh yeah... there is a pretty good difference in weight between stock and aftermarket silencers. Not to mention the sound and performance gains are pretty noticeable too.

-G

"It's not what you ride... It's who you're riding for!" - www.mxrevelation.com -

Brett

Lightest Silencer
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2005, 09:58:51 PM »
Sadly mine only has an aftermarket silencer and undented std expansion chamber.  As soon as i drop it im am going to use the excuse too hard to straighten to buy meself an aftermarket expansion chamber.  I haven't ever seen a std silencer but im sure if straightthrough like everyone ive seen i reckon changing just the silencer would make f**kall difference. (apart from noise)

Offline Timbowe

Lightest Silencer
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2005, 07:39:51 PM »
The power core 2 on mine is pretty much the same as the standard. To look at and to hold on to [weight]. Sounds the same too.
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline ebers17

• RaceShotz Photography and WNY Harescramble Forum
Lightest Silencer
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2005, 10:41:55 PM »
Gdubb, thanks, i feel like the biggest dummy not thinking of checking the packing. I just got to it the other day and its soaked pretty good with gunk and stuff. I'll change it today, thanks! Seth
MSR, Steel MX Optics, FCR Suspension, MotoOption, Budget Racing, Bulmans Cycle Center, RaceShotz.net

Offline Timbowe

Lightest Silencer
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 03:21:26 PM »
What sort of oil are you using for it to be spooooging up in your pipe? Not a good look. Maybe try a better quality oil?
KX500
Weapon in the hands of the Master

Offline GDubb

Lightest Silencer
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2005, 03:52:17 PM »
The first time I ever changed the packing was on my RMX250, and the only reason I thought to check it was for the same reason.... it weighed a ton.