Author Topic: Anyone here ever true their own crank? Or Try?  (Read 1730 times)

IridiumRed

Anyone here ever true their own crank? Or Try?
« on: April 05, 2005, 03:40:37 AM »
Hey Guys

Any of you here ever true, or try to true, your own crank?

My 97 KX5 needs crank bearings (another post), it might need a rod bearing, dont know, but I can't find a reasonable price on a rebuilt, exchange basis crank

So maybe I just do it myself?

I'm pretty useful at working on things, i've tackled a lot of difficult projects and always got them solved in the end - engine/tranny rebuilds, replacements, etc

Eric Gorr's book mentions a 30 ton press being necessary and another special, $800 alignment tool

Well I've got a12 ton press, but I've maxed it out several times lately doing some nasty suspension rebuilds (big bolts rusted in), so I wouldn't mind getting a bigger one.

From what I read, it sounds like you dont need the expensive alignment tool, but that you better be prepared to spend a lot of time (esp your first few times!) working with V blocks, dial indicators, and a big brass hammer
It sounds like with the right measurement tools you'd at least know when you had the alignment right.  Might take a long time/forever to get right, but you'd know when you had it. Much better than "well I think its ok, i guess i gotta put it in and try it out...."

Offline gowen

• Resident Newbie
  • Global Moderator
  • www.KXRiders.com
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2005, 05:09:09 PM »
It is not worth the damage it will cause if you are a .010th of a mm off. I had my crank rebuilt and it costed me like $175 with the wiseco hot rod installed. It is worth the extra $$$ and time to have it done right, plus if you have it done my a professional, they can nearly eleminate all vibes in the RPM range you choose.

IridiumRed

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2005, 03:14:42 PM »
Yeah, I thought it over, and when I have the engine apart I'll send the crank off to be rebuilt if it even looks like it needs it.

not worth the time/money/effort to do it myself for a job I might only do every couple of years.  I dont have enough bikes / friends to do it on a regular basis.... no reason to invest