Author Topic: stabilizers  (Read 4633 times)

mikesmith

stabilizers
« on: February 21, 2003, 10:30:53 PM »
Im getting a steering stabilizer,who is better scotts or gpr?Or is there not much as far as feel goes between the two,Thanks.

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
stabilizers
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2003, 01:37:32 AM »
They are both great. I have the Scotts, but the customer support from GPR is second to none. A buddy of mine at the WORCS race in Phoenix, AZ brought his to the GPR guys there to see if they could rebuild it for him and they did, free of charge. Try and get that from Scotts. ;)

sdkx500

stabilizers
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2003, 02:58:15 PM »
I am looking into buying one.  The best price I have found for just the unit is at the following link.   http://shop.store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/scotdamdamon.html

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
stabilizers
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2003, 03:00:34 PM »
You already have the mount and peg I assume? :wink:
Quote from: sdkx500
I am looking into buying one.  The best price I have found for just the unit is at the following link.   http://shop.store.yahoo.com/azmotorsports/scotdamdamon.html

sdkx500

stabilizers
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2003, 03:28:26 PM »
Yea... im ready to go... I have a bolt on mount that I will probably weld on going by the recommendations of the rest of you.  Paul do you know if you need the straight arm or the one with slight drop to it?

Thanks

:?:

Rick

stabilizers
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2003, 02:24:42 AM »
Several years ago, my son received some support from GPR, but after trying the stabilzer, returned to a Scott's without any support.  The GPR just was not as good as the Scotts's.  Also, a friend of mine who finished top 10 National Hare & Hound last year has used a GPR for about 9 months, and now the thing is leaking.  Yup, he gets the repair for free, but has to send it off, and wait for it to return.  

I purchased my first Scott's ion 1996, and it didn't need a main seal replacement until 2001.  Cost me about $70 bucks.  Wonder how much it would have cost in freight charges for the GPR over that same 5 years to get those "free" repairs.

Also, I raced a fast desert race yesterday, and at one point we were dumped into a really tight narrow 15 foot deep canyon for about 12 miles.  After the first 1/2 mile, I turned the Scott's down one full turn, which allowed me to carve the canyon with ease.  When the canyon opened up to a large highspeed wash, I took my clutch hand off the bars at 45 MPH (yup, with a Scott's that not even a problem), turned the knob back in one full turn, and resumed race speed.  If you have a chance to ride with a GPR, you will notice that even on the lowest setting, there is still quite a lot of resistance, much more than is present when the Scott's is turned out 3 turns.  I use the turning down and up strategy several time a year when the race changes from open to tight, and am thankful I have a Scott's each time.

While the GPR is a fine unit, it just does not compare to the Scott's unit when it comes to adjustability and durability.  For my money, I'll buy the Scott's.  As a note, early on, I kept a spare Scott's in the van "just in case". After a couple of years, I realized that "just in case" would never happen, and sold the scotts.

Rick

Offline Paul

• Top Dawg
    • KX Riders
stabilizers
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2003, 02:37:22 AM »
I totally agree Rick, that's why there is a Scott's on my bike. I've ridden with the GPR on a buddies WR450 and it was ok, did it's job like it should but you are correct, it wasn't the same fluid feel I expect from the Scott's - glad I've only had Scott's ;) .

mikesmith

stabilizers
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2003, 08:23:48 PM »
Well I bought a Scotts and just rode with it the first time yesterday.I didnt play with the settings much from the way it was shipped,but it did seem easier to ride faster in the rocks,roots and ruts.What settings do you guys like for fast smooth sections or the nastier rough stuff?

Rick

stabilizers
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2003, 01:52:52 AM »
First, don't touch the high speed setting.  I run my Scotts at 1 1/2 to 2 turns out, depending upon terrain.  Also, set the sweep adjustments to full so you have dampening from lock-to-lock.  Not sure why anyone would every have anything less.

The first time you will really notice the Scotts is when you hit the edge of a loss rock at speed, and don't end up on your head....

Rick