Author Topic: 88´ KX500 KIPS positions  (Read 5366 times)

Offline peterma

88´ KX500 KIPS positions
« on: September 26, 2015, 06:27:45 PM »
My barrel just got a sleeve in and the compagni who did the job, took out the exhaust valves and I have tried to put the parts together again,
by placing the valves and rod on their marks, but the do not fully open and do not end up alike.

Anyone with some picturesof the correct installation.

The valves are alike and have some partnumbers, so can´t be placed wrong.

Offline sandblaster

• Global Moderator
    • OEM-CYCLE QUALITY USED PARTS
Re: 88´ KX500 KIPS positions
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »
Do you have pics looking into the exhaust port with the valves fully open and fully closed?
The four stroke engine: That's one stroke for producing power and three for wearing the engine out.

Offline peterma

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 07:05:25 AM »
This is my first KX500 so I don´t know much about it.

This is how it looks like, when the horizontal axle is fully out and the valves is placed on the marks.

Offline peterma

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 07:14:45 AM »
This is how it looks, when everything is placed on the marks and the horizontal axle is pressed fully in.

Offline dave916

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 10:51:39 AM »
This is my first KX500 so I don´t know much about it.

This is how it looks like, when the horizontal axle is fully out and the valves is placed on the marks.

They look pretty close
The top picture looks almost spot on
The bottom one looks like it opening a little too much/ This could down to not having the side guide bush not inserted fully{tighten philips screw}

You need to get both valves lined up with exhaust subport with rod fully out /like top picture/ with side guide bush fully  inserted {one with philips screw]
With that done you kipps timing is Spot on
DONT TRY SETUP TIMING ON CLOSED POSITION

You the can fix the over closing issue, usually needs about 5mm added on to the allen key stop bolt {flwheel side}
 As soon as the exhaust sub port closes is where u want to be on close position {rod in }

its is possible to modify the kipps rod with a internally stopper {i use a little nut} and ignore the timing marks
its is also possible to modify ONE OF the valves  /make the kipps chamber work better /BUT I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT DOING THAT UNLESS U HAVE A BIG UNDERSTANDING OF HOW IT ALL WORKS :-D
heres a pic anyway /arrow point to the nut stopper on kipps rod

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:55:11 AM by dave916 »

Offline b4himdude

• You gotta love to tinker
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 03:55:52 PM »
what year are those valves out of>?? because if thats a mod then holy crap bud that is about half of the amount of material compared to  what the Japanese engineers thought a valve should consist of.
hell ,i,m so broke . if it cost a nickle to take a s**t, id have to puke.....

Offline peterma

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 07:51:30 AM »
They look pretty close
The top picture looks almost spot on
The bottom one looks like it opening a little too much/ This could down to not having the side guide bush not inserted fully{tighten philips screw}

You need to get both valves lined up with exhaust subport with rod fully out /like top picture/ with side guide bush fully  inserted {one with philips screw]
With that done you kipps timing is Spot on
DONT TRY SETUP TIMING ON CLOSED POSITION

You the can fix the over closing issue, usually needs about 5mm added on to the allen key stop bolt {flwheel side}

As soon as the exhaust sub port closes is where u want to be on close position {rod in }

its is possible to modify the kipps rod with a internally stopper {i use a little nut} and ignore the timing marks
its is also possible to modify ONE OF the valves  /make the kipps chamber work better /BUT I WOULD NOT WORRY ABOUT DOING THAT UNLESS U HAVE A BIG UNDERSTANDING OF HOW IT ALL WORKS :-D
heres a pic anyway /arrow point to the nut stopper on kipps rod

You are correct - the top picture is spot on and can easily make the second valve open like this, but when I then push the rod in and the valves should close, they are not place alike and closed???

Offline dave916

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 09:15:18 AM »
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 09:53:46 AM by dave916 »